Author Topic: Looking at getting a new Mac..Quick question  (Read 908 times)

iamloco724

Looking at getting a new Mac..Quick question
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:48:14 pm »
In terms of performance for exporting with prime, which would help more. I am looking to save a bit of money on this purchase so my processor options are as follows and then memory options.. In a perfect world I would get the best processor offered and 16gb of ram but I would like to keep costs down but still get great performance for years to come. Opinions?

3.1GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz

3.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
+ $100.00

3.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
+ $300.00

Memory
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- $200.00

16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory

MJSfoto1956

• http://www.jmichaelsullivan.com
Re: Looking at getting a new Mac..Quick question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:21:52 am »
DxO uses # cores when batch processing, so the I7 is the way to go. 16gb is recommended if you will have lots of apps open at the same time.

M

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:47:08 am »
It very much depends on what you are using the Mac for, e.g. a professional photographer and an online gamer have totally different needs, and it could be even more subtle or complicated than that! So the best advice I think is to go along to your nearest Apple shop with a list of your needs, (as in what you want from the computer rather than technical specifications) and a maximum budget and talk to them, ask their advice and make it clear that you want what you can afford that will do the job you want it to do, at a price that you are comfortable with within your budget and not necessarily the most expensive! Hope this helps.
Andrew-Bede
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Asser

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:36 am »
Today I would not buy anything below 6 true cores. Using a Mac you are limited to what Apple has to offer. If I would have to buy a processor today, it would be a:

1) Intel i7 8700K with Meltdown and Spectre
or
2) Ryzen 1800X

16 GB of RAM is a must have, with a slight tendency to 32GB.

A quad core with 8 GB RAM is becoming legacy hardware and nothing for the years to come.

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:32 pm »
IMHO, if DPL is your main tool the stuff you’ve to focus on are:
1. The CPU. The fastest the better according to your budget. DPL makes little if any use of the GPU.
2. The RAM. DPL literally hogs the RAM. I have 32 GB and after some time of intensive work I hit the limit. My use of Adobe Bridge as a DAM doesn’t help as well as Firefox, both very RAM-hungry too.

A year and a half ago I decided to go for a hackintosh. You can see my build at Success: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 + Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 in a Corsair Carbide 200R case | tonymacx86.com. I was on a budget so it wouldn’t be a race favorite but I can work very comfortably.
So if you are hardware savvy it’s an interesting option. If you also do video and gaming you’ll have to consider a high end GPU, otherwise an entry level one will do.

Nick

photography