Author Topic: Graduation filter - corrections  (Read 1609 times)

bruenor75

Graduation filter - corrections
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
Hi,

could you help me with the graduation filter?

When I use the graduation filter on fotos taken on the seaside it´s no problem.

When I want to use the gf on pictures with mountains or houses it seems to start getting complicated.
I´ve seen videos about lightroom and there is the possibility to correct the places in the picture pretty easy because lr recognizes the parts which shouldn´t be corrected by the graduation filter when using a brush (or something like that).
It´s a real pain in the a.. to correct it with the rubber (so it´s named in german…)

Is there such an option on DXO Photolab too? Or is it at least planned for further updates?

Hope you get my problem.

Thanks so far,

Sven

Asser

Re: Graduation filter - corrections
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:36:41 pm »
I think, you mean the "Auto Mask" feature for negative brushes. No, I think the eraser in PL is quite stupid. It is a reverse operation to a normal brush.

Make a feature request via support ticket to implement "Auto Mask Eraser". Tell them that you would like to have it for brushed masks, gradient masks and auto masks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:39:18 pm by Asser »

Pieloe

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:22:18 pm »
YES of course.

- You select the eraser tool in the circular menu
- You select once again your previous GF zone
- You can erase

Asser

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »
YES of course.

- You select the eraser tool in the circular menu
- You select once again your previous GF zone
- You can erase

I think, you did not understand the requirement. Assume that you have a tree with foliage higher than the horizon infront of the sky. Now after the GF is put over the sky, the tree is also covered by the GF. Now he does not want to paint out the tree manually with the erase tool, because it is hard work to not remove parts of the sky from the GF. Instead he wants something like auto mask for the eraser which automatically removes only the tree from the GF, based on tree's hue, luminosity, edges or whatever.

This is, what he wants: https://youtu.be/Zfai50MSvaI
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:15:24 pm by Asser »

bruenor75

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:28 am »
Correct, the eraser is much to complicated.

I tried the auto mask with mountains and horizon, it was ok but nothing breathtaking. On some pictures it looks like the is a  very, very thin line of "a shine" on the "meeting point" between mountain and sky that shines a little bit.
Don´t know if it´s just on my monitor or also on the edited picture... Have to figure that out.

Thanks so far,

Sven

Asser

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:07:51 pm »
Creating nice masks is a huge topic, when you think about functionality like luminosity maks, refine masks, soften edges and so on. PhotoLab is the first version from DxO which supports masks, so it is understandable that they go the 80-20 way. The masking tools will improve over time.

But even if they improve, I think most people would not even try to isolate complex forms in PhotoLab, exactly because of the missing power of the masking tools. Such tasks are exactly the domain of tools like Affinity Photo or Photoshop. There you can tweak the masks to a single pixel and to the opacity you want at that pixel.

The video I posted the link to can be seen as the best case for an auto masking eraser. If the sky would be gray and there would not be clear edges between foreground and background, you would need to use a pixel editor anyway, because the auto mask stuff would no longer work reliable. But for making a show video on youtube this is a great feature. :-)

ColinG

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:04 pm »
The masking tools are pretty good in LR Classic and indeed ON1, although I dislike the latter overall. I think DxO needs to raise its game in this department quickly if it wants to grow market share.

ijm5012

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:34:01 pm »
The masking tools are pretty good in LR Classic and indeed ON1, although I dislike the latter overall. I think DxO needs to raise its game in this department quickly if it wants to grow market share.
I definitely agree. The masking features are one of the biggest let-downs of DXO PL in my opinion, as LR is vastly superior. Not only does LR have radial filter (seriously DXO, how is this still missing from the local adjustments?), but they also have auto-masking which works very well, and have just introduced luminosity masking.

I moved away from LR because I'm not going to jump on the subscription bandwagon, but DXO PL's masking tools are vastly inferior to LR's at this point in time. I hope that they improve the function of them over time, and the sooner the better!

photography