Author Topic: Eraser in Photolab doesn't work (?)  (Read 414 times)

mujabad

Eraser in Photolab doesn't work (?)
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »
Hello.
Many times, I notice that the eraser (in the U-point automatic masking tools), doesn't work at all (it shows the settings framein the down left corner and I can set these as I like, but I cannot make it work on the image...shows this little traffic sign on the tool itself, that shows I cannot use it. More like that "one-direction" traffic sign...don 't drive in).
Is there anything I must or can do, to make this work again? Maybe forgot a setting?
Thank you very much!

Asser

Re: Eraser in Photolab doesn't work (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
Do you have a selected/active local adjustment when you try to delete something from its mask? If yes, are you sure that you can erase in u-point generally? Dont like to turn on my PC, to test it. I am asking, because in u-point you normally dont draw or erase, but set additive and protective zones instead.

mujabad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:08:14 pm »
Hello Asser. Thank you for your comment.
You could be right. I remember that I used "Eraser" in the "Local Adjustments"-tool. I'm just not sure anymore how I did this  :-\
For example:
I use a control point on a face against a dark background. Lift the exposure on that face. Then I want to darken the background a bit more (into black). It's then, on the borders of light and black, that I want to work more precise. Either by erasing some light from the face, or by erasing some dark from the background. Shouldn't that be possible by picking "Eraser" tool inside the Local adjustment wheel?

Asser

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:38:24 pm »
OK,

I started my PC just for you.  :D

I can confirm, that you can erase every adjustment (brush, gradient, auto mask), except the control point ones.

For me it makes absolutely sense. If you use control points, you do not really see a mask currently, which you could erase. This is a feature request of many here, and may come in a future version. But even if you could see the mask, I do not think that directly erasing it would fit into the concept of control points. The thing about control points is that you intentionally sacrafice precision in favor of creating a mask fast, which is derived by using positive and negative control points. If the control point derived mask is not enough, I would switch to the brush tool, to draw the mask manually.

Do you know, that you can counter the light effect on the face, to protect the background from the light inside the same adjustment?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:44:30 pm by Asser »

sirraj

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:30:43 pm »
If you want to remove the changes in an area covered by a control point, you can press the alt key (windows) and a new cursor with a minus sign will appear.  Click while holding the alt key and a new area is created that removes the control point changes. I can't find this in the User Guide, but if you click on the ? in the center of the local adjustments wheel, this is described as "protect an area".

Sirraj

mujabad

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »
Thank you very much...Sirraj and Asser!

photography
photography