Author Topic: Sidecars gone since PhotoLab ?  (Read 504 times)

SeabirdNZ

Sidecars gone since PhotoLab ?
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:48:27 am »
Hey guys.

I was using Optics Pro 11 Elite, finally moved on to PhotoLab Elite a month ago, so far so good and enjoying the new tools (a couple of tiny improvements would be nice, I'll deal with that an other time).

However, today I went back to old photo folders to see if such new tools could provide a new approach, and I could not find a single image previously edited with OP11 displaying corrections I know I had used. Instead, the image would load with always the same corrections switched on, and default values, nothing else.
Slightly concerned, I check the folder contents and indeed 99% of my sidecars are gone ! And the ones still there do not load anything else but what I described above.

Now, I have seen topics about a database error message and know you're working on it. I had that very same message once (possibly when working on an image with OP11 sidecar ?) but didn't think much of it. I do wonder however if my problem is related to the database thing, and if this possible consequence is known ?

By the way, I suggest this is a PhotoLab issue but after checking a backup drive which was updated before I installed PL, I cannot see any sidecars there either. The backup software put a bunch of them in the "changed since last time folder" though ...
I will need to double-check with a second backup drive I keep at work, and hope to find a different result there. Otherwise it's many many hours of editing gone somewhere ...

SeabirdNZ

Re: Sidecars gone since PhotoLab ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:53:03 pm »
I just remember that yesterday initially all was good when working on my most recent "old photos" (1 folder), edited with OP11. The thumbnails loaded up with correction settings as I remember them.
It's after that, somehow, when going further back in time in my archives (in 2 other folders) that the problem became apparent for these older shots. Same goes for loading unedited images with some corrections turned on with default values when they shouldn't be ...

Rex Block

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:42:12 pm »
Honestly it sounds like something else may have clobbered your sidecars. I have not noticed any unusual behavior with them, and I went through the same steps as you: OpticsPro11 ==> PhotoLab and then using PL on some older work. Sidecar files were there.

I use both TimeMachine and a homegrown rsync setup to save my work, and on to two separate external drives. TM shows the presence of .dops going way back. But then again, I spend a lot of time in terminal and so I would immediately notice their disappearance.

That seems like such crazy behaviour I would not expect it from PL or OL11.

MJSfoto1956

• http://www.jmichaelsullivan.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:12:24 am »
Honestly it sounds like something else may have clobbered your sidecars. I have not noticed any unusual behavior with them, and I went through the same steps as you: OpticsPro11 ==> PhotoLab and then using PL on some older work. Sidecar files were there.

+1

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:55 am »
@ SeabirdNZ

If you still have the working v11 with its last used Database the solution is simple.
- start v11 and in the Preferences enable the .dop sidecar generation
- select all your images Project by Project and chose a not significant parameter change ( e.g. Chromatic aberration/Size change )
- wait some minutes - depends on the image quantity in the Project till all images sidecar to be generated
- go to next Project and repeat the steps. Now all your images' sidecar generated again.
The process is working also on Folder view.

You can run simultaneously the PL1 and check the effect of the new sidecar on the image editing results. Keep in mind, the same .dop generation option has to be disable during the generation in v11, otherwise the .dop will be updated to PL version and v11 will unable to use it anymore.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

SeabirdNZ

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:39 am »
Thanks for the replies, @Bencsi I'll look into what you describe

SeabirdNZ

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:11 pm »
That seems like such crazy behaviour I would not expect it from PL or OL11.

Fair enough, I initially thought the same but I still end up with PL and OP11 opening images with corrections turned on with default values (although preferences are set for no corrections) and unable to reset them 'cause the button is all greyed out. It does feel like a bug of some sort.
It all worked fine and since either OP11's latest updates (which my backups showing the problem would seem to point at), or installing/using PL, it's all a mess and I've lost many hours of editing work ... and the sidecars are the only messed up files on my hard drives ...

But anyway, I guess I'll have to suck it up and over time re-create my edited images with PL whenever I feel the need to work on an old image again ... yay ...

Bencsi

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:22:46 am »
@ SeabirdNZ

I surprise, if you are unable to restore your editing work under v11. Theoretically, v11 Database have to include all your images' editing details. Are you sure the proper Database has been loaded to v11 ? Its size and date should help to determine the proper one. DoP v11 normally keep the Database in case of uninstall the app.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

photography