Author Topic: Batch rename leveraging EXIF metadata?  (Read 1723 times)

Wildcat59

Batch rename leveraging EXIF metadata?
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:05:16 am »
Hi,
   I recently purchased PhotoLab Elite and unable to find a basic function to batch rename files.  Ideally, I could leverage a combination of manual text plus some metadata to automate the rename process.  Perhaps this is available and I am not finding it as it should be a basic feature. 

TIA

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: Batch rename leveraging EXIF metadata?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:12:48 am »
Hello TIA,

The batch rename for the files is not introduced in PhotoLab.
The files can be renamed separately. And for the outputs, you can add suffixes to the images for the batch processing (Export window).

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

bobkoure

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:50:30 pm »
I'd suggest Bulk Rename Utility for this http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk
freeware/shareware / donate what you like.

I've been using it for years.
There are probably other file rename utilities that can use EXIF. I picked this one because it can use something called 'regular expressions' - but I'm a programmer.

I did use it at one point to rename 5K+ photo files using the EXIF date as new file suffix to help a friend organize his storage into appropriate folders. Worked great.

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »
Smart utility, thanks the link.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Asser

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:31 pm »
If you rename processed files with existing dop files outside of PhotoLab, it can cause issues where virtual copies are created, which were not requested by you. I have written a bug report on this and it was rejected by design sadly. Hence, think about a naming scheme, where you never will have a reason to change it, BEFORE you process the files in PhotoLab for the first time. PhotoLab is a little bit DAM unfriendly here.

Pieloe

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:38:33 pm »
XnView is a free multi OS viewer with a rich batch renaming function (from EXIF or text).
I use it in live with DPL.

Wildcat59

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 02:44:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  I will surely check out these utilities.

Asser

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:32:47 pm »
If you have about 100€ to spend for a DAM which works perfectly with PL, then I can only recommend to look at IMatch. There is a 30 day unlimited trial.

Batch renaming based on metadata is only one thing you want to do. Other stuff like reverse geocoding, applying metadata templates, using smart collections that auto group images based on metadata, metadata supported design & print functionality, the possibility to read and write XMP, the possibility to refactor hierarchical keywords in thousands of files at once and so on, is all included in one package.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:50:14 pm by Asser »

Mike1

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19:43 pm »
If you have about 100€ to spend for a DAM which works perfectly with PL, then I can only recommend to look at IMatch. There is a 30 day unlimited trial.
And Photo Supreme, which offers the same http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=20

As for renaming, I prefer the batch facility in Free Commander http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/FreeCommander.html - although unlike Photo Supreme that's Windows only and can't use metadata.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:23:38 pm by Mike1 »

Rex Block

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:29:11 pm »
Old question but here is another suggestion: exiftool. Just do an internet search and plenty of links will appear.

exiftool does allow renaming of images based on various rules.

photography
photography