Author Topic: virtual copies  (Read 1390 times)

markui

virtual copies
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:47 pm »
Is there a way to store virtual copies in other folders than with their originals?
I have a master image folder. Under it I would like to have multiple subfolders containing people specific images. If the master image gets modified, all the virtual copies should get the same modification. Or is this not what virtual copies can do?

Pieloe

Re: virtual copies
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:48:13 am »
Is there a way to store virtual copies in other folders than with their originals?

NO you can not.
However you can create some projects with a virtual copy in each one.

If the master image gets modified, all the virtual copies should get the same modification. Or is this not what virtual copies can do?

Either.
Each virtual copy is an particular instance of the image.

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:04:24 am »
Virtual copies can be treated as separate images and each copy can have its own set of corrections.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

markui

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:04:49 pm »
Virtual copies can be treated as separate images and each copy can have its own set of corrections.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Yes but is it possible to link the virtual copies in such a way that they have the same corrections as the original?

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »
Is there a way to store virtual copies in other folders than with their originals? I have a master image folder. Under it I would like to have multiple subfolders containing people specific images.
You must keep in mind that virtual copies are… well… virtual. It’s the same image file with separate settings that are recorded in the .dop sidecar file. You can make as many VC as you want at the cost of a few tens of KBs only. There is no “master”. All copies are the same image with any specific setting you want to apply to it.
Hence the original image file and its sidecar file must remain together in the same folder. As a result you can’t have one copy in on place and another elsewhere.
Conversely you can create projects.

If the master image gets modified, all the virtual copies should get the same modification. Or is this not what virtual copies can do?
Right, as far as modifications are concerned, all copies are independent. A setting applied to one has no effect on any other.

Yes but is it possible to link the virtual copies in such a way that they have the same corrections as the original?
No since there is no original or no master among them.

Nick

markui

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
Ah, so I misunderstood how they work. It's much clearer now. Good way to try different modifications without having to remember how to undo them later.

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 11:46:58 am »
Ah, so I misunderstood how they work. It's much clearer now. Good way to try different modifications without having to remember how to undo them later.
Right, it’s very convenient.
When I start editing new pics that I just downloaded from my cam my first move is to select them all and create VCs. Then I’ll keep the #1 untouched as future references and work on #2 only. If I want to test different corrections or if I am not happy with the ones I did on #2 I can create a new copy from the original. I don’t need to undo the corrections I did, I just trash the copies I don’t like. Deleting a VC has no more effect on the others than creating one.
If I want to do try edits on an already edited pic, for example different crops with the same settings, I can create VCs of the same VC.
To spot easily which is the reference, unedited VC as opposed to the edited one(s), I apply a 2 star rating to the latter (I wouldn’t keep shots that deserve 2 stars only).

Keep in mind that as soon as a picture is selected in the film strip DPL creates its .dop sidecar which is a text file you can open with any text editor. At that point it lists the default settings DPL applied to the shot. When you create a VC it just duplicates this list of settings inside the sidecar and later it’ll record you own edits in it. There is no link between them. So basically all VCs are born equal. When you delete one VC, including #1, DPL just erases the corresponding list of settings and, if necessary, renumbers the other VCs.

Nick

photography
photography