Author Topic: Using on a laptop and a PC  (Read 1993 times)

hotel2zero

Using on a laptop and a PC
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:28:21 pm »
I currently use LR but looking to move as they are moving to a cloud based solution. Currently I take my laptop with me when I travel and edit photos on that. When I get home I merge it all back into my home PC. How easy is this to do in Photo Lab? Is it even possible? It's pretty essential to me.

Also what  are people using to catalogue their photos with?

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
Re: Using on a laptop and a PC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:07:28 am »
Hello,

So if we are talking about the corrections applied to the images (edit), there are 2 ways to save them in PhotoLab: 1 - all the corrections are stored in the sidecars and they are supported on any computer no matter on which one the you edit your images -> it means the corrections you did will be visible on any PC;
2 - database - all the corrections are stored in the database and there is a possibility to backup and restore the database.

If we are talking about the cataloging your images (in PhotoLab it's called Projects), this info is also kept in the database which can be backed up and restored. If you create a backup and then restore them on the same machine - the procedure is very simple - as soon as you restore the backup you will see all your projects properly. If you restore your backup on the other machine, additional steps will probably be necessary: as the disk IDs where your images are stored are different, you will need to fix the image path inside the projects ( you right click on a thumbnail in the project and select an option "Fix image path" and select the original image folder).

That's it  ;).

Hope you'll enjoy the capabilities of PhotoLab.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:00:21 am »
Svetlana, did you just say, that a "project" does contain IPTC data like keywords, document title, caption, author, copyright, headline, category, location and so on?

Hotel2zero, I use Geosetter for it, which is a GUI for Exiftool. That's the best I found. I can write all these data direct into the RAW files and later everything is exported to my JPG files or whatever.

Beside that I rename my files with some keywords, so that it is easier and faster to find them within all the thousands of images with "Everything" (http://www.voidtools.com/) on my Windows machine. It is faster than Windows can think. An example for such a filename inside my folder structure of years, months an topics could be "DSC_0001 fountain George Harry dog.NEF" (or *.jpg). It depends on what you ever could search. It should not be too much.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:06:06 am »
Svetlana, did you just say, that a "project" does contain IPTC data like keywords, document title, caption, author, copyright, headline, category, location and so on?
Nope  :( , I was talking only about grouping and correction settings.
But the things you recollected are in the future plans of PhotoLab development.

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

hotel2zero

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »
Thanks both. It sounds doable. Are the sidecar files separate  files or are they incorporated into the image file? Also if using the databae and restoring to a separate PC, is there any issue with merging to the PC database?

I tend to use folders for all my images so sorting isn't too much of a problem. The issue is more knowing which files I have played with and not deleting them by mistake. Separate side car files will make This easier to see. Unfortunately, this is where LR is still king. I have also just signed up for another year automatically but I suppose this gives me time to have an in depth look at DXO. My main issue with LR is that I may need to keep paying to see the processing on my archive images unless I bite the bullet and export them all! I've got about 3 years worth so it won't be too bad but in another 5 years....

Mike1

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 05:19:52 pm »
what  are people using to catalogue their photos with?
Photo Supreme.

lenmerkel

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »

IMatch from photools.com: https://www.photools.com/imatch/

sgospodarenko

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 08:09:58 am »
Thanks both. It sounds doable. Are the sidecar files separate  files or are they incorporated into the image file?
Yes, sidecars are separate files which are placed beside each image (it's a file with .dop extension). They can be read by any PC no matter on what you did your editing.
You have an option in Preference "Save setting in sidecars..." which is enabled by default.
So if you edit your images on a laptop, then open this folder on your Desktop PC you will see all your corrections applied.
+ If you created virtual copies, rate the images you will also see these changes as well.

You can take a Trial version and play with it for a month  ;) to see the capabilities of PhotoLab.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 09:25:32 am »

I am using Media Pro - https://www.phaseone.com/MediaProSE

hotel2zero

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 02:45:11 pm »
Thanks, I'm going to download a copy and have a play and also look out the suggestions for managing the catalogue.

John

Aubrey

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:27 am »

I've moved from LR to DxO. I don't like the subscription model.
 I'm using IMatch for last 9 years for cataloging. Its a little known product but very powerful. I never used the LR catalogue.
Aubrey

photography
photography