Author Topic: Sharpening Photolab  (Read 686 times)

mujabad

Sharpening Photolab
« on: December 23, 2017, 10:12:09 am »
I know there are more questions about this subject on the internet, but I would like to know about your prefered sharpening settings in Photolab (with noise reduction set to HQ).
What about "Lens sharpness" (global/Details/Bokeh) in relation to "Unsharp Mask" (Intensity/Radius/Threshold/Edge offset).
I mostly shoot portraits.
Thank you!

Asser

Re: Sharpening Photolab
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:09:07 pm »
As far as I know you should not use unsharp mask, as long as your optical module is supported and lens sharpness is available. Lens sharpness uses your lens profile, which should reduce halos. My unsharp mask is always off.

Most of the time I do Contrast, followed by Micro Contrast/Fine contrast, Lens Sharpness Global around 70, Lens Sharpness Detail 60. Something like that. I do not know, what is best, but this works for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:27:28 pm by Asser »

sgoldkuhle

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:04 am »
My impression is, that lens sharpness enableing is simply amazing good (if you have a loaded lens profile). Manual sharpness corrections can't make it better.
I'm a hobbyphotographer, not a pro, so someone maybe correct me.
I zoomed photos to 100% and en- and disabled lens sharpness.

Pieloe

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 11:14:46 am »
I know there are more questions about this subject on the internet, but I would like to know about your prefered sharpening settings in Photolab (with noise reduction set to HQ).
What about "Lens sharpness" (global/Details/Bokeh) in relation to "Unsharp Mask" (Intensity/Radius/Threshold/Edge offset).
I mostly shoot portraits.
Thank you!

If you have a premium lens, you do nothing.
Otherwise you can increase Details value.

Maybe for portraits you can decrease the Global value .

mujabad

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 02:03:14 pm »
Thank all of you. I think I only have premium lenses (Zeiss Batis 2x and Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZA).
So doing nothing seems solid advice (ofcourse I'll always check)

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 02:04:53 pm »
My approach appears to be a bit different from some of the others who posted. Normally, like the others, my Lens Sharpening setting is on and my Unsharp mask is off. I generally add a bit of micro contrast and, occasionally, some extra contrast as well.

However there are times when I do add some Unsharp Masking as well. This is usually when I am shooting birds in flight and I find that perhaps I needed to shoot at a slightly higher speed, but either did not or could not due to lighting conditions. Then I will add a small amount of Unsharp Mask and I find that it does improve photos that are slightly OOF.

A bit of advice - if you do add some Unsharp Mask, use moderation as too much will make your photos look worse than none at all.

mujabad

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 02:15:24 pm »
Thank you MikeFromMesa! Luckily I never shoot birds (either by rifle or by camera...especially not flying birds) :) :)

Bjoran

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 03:22:31 pm »
I have found that the local adjustment "Sharpness" works very well with the benefit of only sharpen up exactly where it is needed.

mujabad

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 04:36:56 pm »
Thank you Bjoran.

photography
photography