Author Topic: PhotoLab <> Affinity Workflow  (Read 457 times)

kdochert

PhotoLab <> Affinity Workflow
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:00:34 pm »
Reading through the various threads in this forum it seems quite a lot of DxO users are also Affinity users like myself. I'm looking to learn from some of the more experienced users about workflow and if I'm on the right path.

My main use of Affinity is either creating HDR's from a series of bracketed shots, or simply stitching photo's for a panorama so lets start with those two examples. I currently perform lens corrections and noise reduction (no other adjustments at this stage) to the RAW files in PhotoLab and export as 16 bit TIFF which I then import into Affinity. I usually finalize all other editing such as toning in Affinity but I do occasionally export a TIFF file from Affinity which I then import back into PhotoLab if I want to finalize editing on PhotoLab using some unique features such as clearview.

Does this make sense? Am I using the best file format?

Pieloe

Re: PhotoLab <> Affinity Workflow
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:05:43 am »
YES, all good   :D
You can save time with the menu right Clic:
Export to Application

Nick_

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:35:31 pm »
It sure makes sense… especially if it yields good results. ;)
TIFF is the best format for exporting pics from one app to another. DPL can also generate DNGs that LR can use (I don’t know about other softs) but they are three times as big as the originals.
DPL performs quite well with TIFs but of course not as well as with RAWs that contain more information.
Nick

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »
Yes, and it is similar to the way I use Affinity Photo (and PhotoLine) with PhotoLab, although from your post it appears that I do more of this than you do as I use both external editors quite a bit in connection with PhotoLab, and not just for panoramas and HDR shots.

I use them for object removal, lens flare correction, perspective correction (when ViewPoint settings will not do what I want), sky replacement and other specialized actions, and then save the image back to the original folder using a new name. I always use tiff format and then often adjust these images further once they are back in PhotoLab.

I find that the linkage works well, but only if I save the tiff back with a new name. Otherwise I find that PhotoLab often does not update the thumbnail properly and then I can not properly do further adjustments on the image.

mujabad

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 02:18:51 pm »
Thnxs Mike. Good to remember (I've read that before); REnaming files if going back from AP to PL! Easy to forget for me (because it's not very often that I go back into PL).

photography
photography