Author Topic: Crop Tool became worse in PhotoLab  (Read 3378 times)

Nick_

Crop Tool became worse in PhotoLab
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:14 am »
I started a feature request late 2016, Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one, to very simply improve the pretty basic Crop Tool.
Yet as basic as it was there was a little caption in the corner of the rectangle displaying the dimensions. It’s gone! One has absolutely no clue about the size of one’s crop!
Why the heck the developers REMOVE useful information whereas they should ADD more? It’s insane! PUT IT BACK!
It reminds me of Apple whose motto is obviously “Less is more”.

Nick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:57:04 am by Nick_ »

Bjoran

Re: Crop Tool became worse in PhotoLab
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:14 am »
I started a feature request late 2016, Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one, to very simply improve the pretty basic Crop Tool.
Yet as basic as it was there was a little caption in the corner of the rectangle displaying the dimensions. It’s gone! One has absolutely no clue about the size of one’s crop!
Why the heck the developers REMOVE useful information whereas they should ADD more? It’s insane! PUT IT BACK!
It reminds of Apple whose motto is “Less is more”.

Nick

Yes, it is really bad.
I contacted the support about this fault 28 October and got this answer:

Thank you for writing. You are correct. The pixel count is missing from the crop tool in DxO PhotoLab. We will be happy to pass along your interest in restoring this capability to our development team for their consideration. A request on your behalf will be automatically created and sent to the developers once this ticket is closed.

It was not corrected in the latest version 1.1.0 and that is really surprising.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:19:19 am by Bjoran »

kettch

• DxO PhotoLab Mac Team Leader
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:31 am »
Indeed, we removed that feature in version 1.0, and didn't have time to put it back, as we were concentrating our efforts on the Local Adjustments.

Rest assured, we are aware that many users are missing that feature (and we miss it too!), so it will come back as soon as possible. It may take a tiny bit of time, and I can't tell exactly when the version putting it back will be released just yet, but we're on it!

Bjoran

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:00 am »
Indeed, we removed that feature in version 1.0, and didn't have time to put it back, as we were concentrating our efforts on the Local Adjustments.

Rest assured, we are aware that many users are missing that feature (and we miss it too!), so it will come back as soon as possible. It may take a tiny bit of time, and I can't tell exactly when the version putting it back will be released just yet, but we're on it!

Thanks a lot for you quick answer, I appreciate that.

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:10 am »
Thanks for your quick response kettch.

Removing stuff in a program is beyond my understanding. As well as taking ages to put it back. A copy and paste of a few lines of code back into place wouldn’t do it?
And what about my requests #1 and #2 in Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one (I found a work-around for #3)?

Nick

kettch

• DxO PhotoLab Mac Team Leader
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:29:55 pm »
Removing stuff in a program is beyond my understanding. As well as taking ages to put it back. A copy and paste of a few lines of code back into place wouldn’t do it?
Ahhh, if it were that easy...  ;)
Without going into too much detail, we had to rework quite a bit of stuff so that we can get closer to what we have now in OpticsPro for Photos (as an example: the Prime loupe that you can move over the image), and other cool stuff along those lines. As it was quite a mouthful to be done alongside the Local Adjustments, we had to make some compromises. Unfortunately, the Crop size was one of those. Had it been a simple copy-paste of a few lines of code, it would be there already!

And what about my requests #1 and #2 in Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one (I found a work-around for #3)?

I forwarded this to a colleague for consideration. He may reply on your original post about those specific points.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:50:19 pm by Bruno S. »

Bruno S.

• OpticsPro - Product Owner
  • Global Moderator
  • DxO Team
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
Hi Nick,
To follow-up with your request:
  • I sometimes need to crop my pics at precise sizes in pixels (for example 1800 x 2000 exactly) and with the mouse it's almost impossible do get the exact values and it's rather cumbersome1. It would be very handy to have editable fields like the one in the Horizon Tool. It could be much faster to set the size than with the mouse.

As you've been already told, we mainly focused on PhotoLab's local adjustment tools, and to work on that big topic, we needed to rework deeply our viewer for better user interaction.
The counterpart of that, is that we also needed to rework some of our tools, including the crop one. It's rightly not completely finalized, but your suggestions which match also our expectations will be taken into acocunt for the next update of PhotoLab in early 2018, definitely.

about the last feedback :
  • The size of the RAW picture is displayed on top of the EXIF data table. It's very handy but it's only the pixel count of the original file before it was cropped.
    Please add another field displaying the size of the resulting cropped picture.
We didn't really think about this, but that's an interesting feedback.
We'll see how far we could improve that, in anyway (I mean it may or may be not in the EXIF panel, but at last that information might be really useful), and be sure that you'll be aware of any decision we'll take about this.

Thanks!

Nick_

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:10:49 am »
Hi  kettch

Don’t take me wrong in my comments: I switched from Adobe’s stuff some years ago and I am still today enchanted, if not stunned, by the job DOP and now DPL can do. I warmly recommend it to people.
Yet I consider many aspects are still in the making and I am expecting a more mature application.

Ahhh, if it were that easy...  ;)
When I was developing database management systems, when a client requested the display of more data on forms I would do it on the spot at his site: draw fields, populate them with the variables and that was it. Making them editable needed a little extra code.
In my solutions you could switch instantaneously from one language to another (French/English for example) by a click on a button. Captions and messages were variables whose data were stored in a table. They were editable in the admin environment.
That’s why I am always surprised when stuff like this seem such a hassle. Maybe it depends on the IDE that’s used.

I forwarded this to a colleague for consideration. He may reply on your original post about those specific points.
Thanks!
Since you show such good will you might also consider my other feature requests. They are all about the GUI, not about the core of the application.

My feature request #1: EXIF data

What's wrong with the EXIF data at DxO's?

EXIF and DOP's ratings conflict to be solved

My feature request #2: the organizer

My wishlist item #3: multiple windows

Malthusianism

Is the images count in the Image Browser Command Bar relevant to you?

Export to disk, size option

And these are only the requests I made. There are many others.

It’s not only about me. Keep in mind that traditional Adobe’s customers are currently running away by thousands and shopping for new solutions. If you continue presenting them a rather basic and under achieved environment, even though the correction capabilities of your application is above par, you may miss lots of sales.

Nick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:17:17 am by Nick_ »

Bjoran

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:01:45 pm »
At last, the size of the crop window is back, in version 1.1.1 build 58.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:36:08 pm »
I have read through this thread and noticed that no one is talking about what I consider to be a big improvement in the crop tool.

Prior to the new release if I wanted to crop the image it was automitically set back to its "fit screen" dimensions before the crop, making it much more difficult for me to crop as I wanted. Now I can zoom the image to what I want and crop it as it is displayed. For me that is a big help.

Nick_

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:16:20 am »
Good. Is it stable?
Nick

Bjoran

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:42 am »
Good. Is it stable?
Nick

Yes, but time will tell.

Bjoran

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »
Good. Is it stable?
Nick
I have now used the new version several hours, and in my computer and OS it is 100 % stable.
My computer is an iMac 2017 with 4.2 GHz CPU with 16 GB RAM + High Sierra.

Nick_

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:38 am »
Thanks for the input. I'll upgrade soon.
Nick

photography
photography