Author Topic: Workflow Ideas questions  (Read 1258 times)

bmeabroad

Workflow Ideas questions
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:37 am »
I am new to DXO and enjoying its capabilities. I would like workflow suggestions if anyone would be kind enough share their thoughts. My photography is generally travel related or street photography in my home city. I previously used Aperture for importing, organizing, processing, and sharing (and backing up - locally or drop box). I am now looking for tools. I am happy with DXO photolab for all of the raw processing and adjustments. I have generally not liked lightroom.

What I usually am doing / would like to be doing: importing from card to computer, rating by 5 stars system, saving to a filing system based on general location (home or away from home) year, specific locations. Setting up (automatic) folders/projects/collections related to specifics such as what camera, what lens, specific projects I may be working on. Then I want to easily find the photos I want to work on with DXO photolab, make whatever adjustments, add tags, usually post selected photos to flickr, tag photos sent to flickr with an "on flickr" tag so I know which ones were uploaded...and do this all in record time or little by little without losing track. So far it has not been important to me to have a cloud back up or to be able to see my full photo library on every other device I might use. Printing has also not been important. I am using a 7 year old imac with Sierra and a not super fast internet connection. I may upgrade computer and internet speed soon.

Bonus for something that will help (or at least not hinder) ultimately being able to organize/manage the 1.0TB photos currently in an Aperture managed library

Pieloe

Re: Workflow Ideas questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:27:30 pm »
XnView - multi OS viewer

To sort your photos and then
Tools / Open with /

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:33:21 pm »
XnView does look cool, but there is no way I can find for hiding the dross, all the sidecar files etc, so that only images are viewed. Is there a way? And what about tagging, I know it can be done in XnView but does it survive the round trip to DxO, because you cannot tag in DxO.

Nick_

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:41:48 am »
What I usually am doing / would like to be doing: importing from card to computer, rating by 5 stars system, saving to a filing system based on general location (home or away from home) year, specific locations.
For that you need a DAM-capable soft and it’s not in DPL competences, alas. We are trying to convince DxO it’s in their own interest to tap into the flow of LightRoom dissidents but it seems they don’t realize they opportunities they are missing.

Setting up (automatic) folders/projects/collections related to specifics such as what camera, what lens, specific projects I may be working on. Then I want to easily find the photos I want to work on with DXO photolab […]
You need to create smart folders. I am afraid you will never find this feature with DPL. As far as creating the relevant folders I am the only one to be able to do it. Creating and managing your folders can only be done in the finder or in a full fledge DAM. I use Bridge.
Easily finding your pictures depends on how well you folders are organized.

Then I want to […] make whatever adjustments, add tags, usually post selected photos to flickr, tag photos sent to flickr with an "on flickr" tag so I know which ones were uploaded...and do this all in record time or little by little without losing track.
Remember DPL doesn’t do a lot of things but it does them very well. Its core competence is adjusting pics and in that it shines. So you’ll find minimum capabilities in what you need here.

I am using a 7 year old imac with Sierra and a not super fast internet connection. I may upgrade computer and internet speed soon.
If you want to use DPL comfortably:
  • The CPU must be as powerful as possible as you might think.
  • Like many other picture softs it uses a lot of RAM. I have 32 GB and I am sometimes short. The most the better.
  • Optics Pro made little use if any of the GPU. It seems PhotoLab does but it probably does not need a very powerful one.
Yet I can’t recommend any of the Apple current models. Probably iMacs will do.

Nick

ColinG

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
For what it is worth, I am running a late 2017 iMac Retina 4k with 8 gig of ram. It is running DPL fine. I am having the same consideration re the DAM and clearly it will have to be something like Adobe Bridge which is free these days.

I suspect raw image size will impact performance. I am using a Nikon D5300 and shoot raw exclusively.

H.S.W.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:54:43 am »
XnView does look cool, but there is no way I can find for hiding the dross, all the sidecar files etc, so that only images are viewed. Is there a way? And what about tagging, I know it can be done in XnView but does it survive the round trip to DxO, because you cannot tag in DxO.

I'm using ISmartPhoto.

photography