Author Topic: Error saving to database  (Read 2692 times)

woodmeister

Error saving to database
« on: November 25, 2017, 05:45:33 pm »
I have had an issue on occasion with an error message:
"An error occurred saving to database, Quit the application".
This occurs with either "Export to Application" or "Export to Disk".

I submitted a bug ticket and the response was to re-install PhotoLab.
I did so and all seemed okay for several days then yesterday I ran into the
issue 5 times while processing only a dozen or so photos.

It seems this has been a long standing as I found when I did a forum search
and was present for quite some time in Optics Pro (as far back as version 9
in a short search).

The files are being properly written and seems the sidecar files for the RAW
are being written and when I do quit and restart PhotoLab, the RAW adjustments
are still there for the photo that was processed when the issue occurred.

So, for openers, I guess what is this database saving and used for?  Perhaps for
my work flow maybe it doesn't even matter?  In PhotoLab itself, in terms of database,
it seems all that can be done save or restore.  No "reset" or "clear" or any other
maintenance functions.

This most recent occurrence was using this workflow:
1.  Adobe Bridge download from camera
2.  In Adobe Bridge "Open With" PhotoLab
3.  Export to application Adobe Bridge.  Then again, export to disk
     then going to bridge still was problematic.
4.  Then open another app for "touch up work".
The error would occur however even before getting to the last step.

Note that the previous day, I had processed 50-60 photos using the identical
workflow with no problem at all!

LCDI

• Mac test leader
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.dxo.com
Re: Error saving to database
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:54:56 am »
Hello woodmeister

We know that is a nasty problem.
We are working hard on it and try to find an easy way to reproduce and understand why it happens.
We have some clues, but it is a state where normally we can't be.

When we find at least a work around or a fix we will tell you.

Regards,

PAt

kesavan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:59 am »
I have exactly the same problem and the application quits. Restarted computer. No joy. Any updates?

LCDI

• Mac test leader
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:51 am »
Hello kesavan

We hope having something to deliver very quickly, we are currently testing a fix.
Notice is was not only a bug fix, heavy changes are done.

PAt

kesavan

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:15:35 am »
Thank you. Unable to use Photolab at the moment because of this!

LCDI

• Mac test leader
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:23 am »
Actually you have 2 work around :
-When Exporting to Disk you set an output folder it will work
-If you put your pictures in a project you can avoid the problem when you will use export to Lightroom for example

kdochert

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:56:56 am »
I have the same problem and been having it for years (Optics Pro 9?) was hoping it would be fixed by software updates. It “seems” to happen more frequently when other applications such as photo viewers have one of the photo’s being worked on in DxO selected, so I now close them down when using DxO to reduce the problem, but its not a complete fix.

After installing Photo Lab, I got a one time message about the hard drive not being configured correctly, but when clicking on the link it gave for help it just took me to DxO general support so I need to search around for this one. Is this a fusion drive related issue then?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:05:23 pm by kdochert »

LCDI

• Mac test leader
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:51:22 pm »
Let explain,

I'm simplify the purpose but in, basically the problem of DB saving is a very complex problem because it was linked with multithreading and context switching and with the fact of loading the processed file just appearing in the Filmstrip.
In some case an attempt to put an empty item in the database is detected. It is not possible then the save of the DB is stopped to avoid a DB corruption and we displayed the message.

Not easy to explain but to fix that is a pain, we are currently testing a fix, it seems on a good shape, it will be released i hope on the next release

Jon_Kodachrome

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:55 pm »
FWIW, I've been experiencing "can't save database" for several generations of DXO GP and now with PhotoLab (1.1.0, Build 56). Most commonly, the message appears after exporting .DNG files to Lightroom Classic CC. Interestingly, after quitting and re-opening PL the most recent changes that I've made to the RAW file in PL appear to have been saved, so I wonder if the message might be in error, not a real problem in saving the DB.

Just my two cents ...

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:54 pm »
I have also been seeing this problem for several generations of Dxo software, and I reported it as a bug a very long time ago. For me it happens when I send an image to an external editor and return that image for further processing. When I reported it as a bug back in version 8 or 9 I was told "don't do that". And, for me, this is also tied up with a second bug, which I also reported, saying that if I export to an application, adjust the image and save it back with the same name, the thumbnail usually does not get updated. Again, I was told "don't do that", and I now save any externally adjusted image with a new name. That eases the problem, but does not solve it.

For a while I thought about changing to CaptureOne Pro because they not only do not have this problem, but advertise "round-trip" editing and have special functionality to send an image to an external editor and return it for further processing, but in the end I stayed with Dxo, especially considering the new Nik functionality in PhotoLab,

I have also done some cross-platform editing (using a pixel editor running in a Windows VM) and this problem happens much more frequently when I do that.

Bjoran

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:26 pm »
I have now used version 1.1.2 build 65 of PhotoLab Elite for several hours with editing and exporting of many RAW NEF-files to jpeg on my iMac 2017 with High Sierra. I have not once had this problem, saving to database, so maybe this has been fixed now. Prior to this version it happened now and then. I will come back here if it happens again. Also, photoLab is extremely stable, at least on my computer, no crashes or hang-ups at all.

photography