Author Topic: DXO PhotoLab issues and work-arounds  (Read 1261 times)

rtdj customer

DXO PhotoLab issues and work-arounds
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:18:04 pm »
To compile a list of things to be fixed and for others to share how they adjusted or found personal fixes in the meantime.

First off things specifically not working well the new program.
When I go between local adjustment mode and try to adjust settings in the workspace I can't undo or redo changes it just won't load new things, unless I past it in. Even then I'm unsure if it's even doing what I want it to.
Instead it goes back along the local adjustment path when I try to undo. which is especially annoying if I just reset it to get rid of them, I don't want them to come back. 

I know this would bother some people but I think we can handle this, "Resetting Should Delete Local Adjustments And Their History" so it doesn't just come back.

Second, you can't delete a mask. All I can do is hide it, undo it, or reset all the adjustments.
And I want to be able to place the mask tool wherever I want by that i mean the icon, I want to be able to place and move the masking icon/tool without having to put down a brush stoke first or whatever.

It's annoying when you're trying to make a small or subtle adjustment (which is what local adjustment tools are for in the first place) and to use it, I have to place the icon directly.over.where.I.want.to.work!!

I know it's one dot, but depending on how strong the affect is I might have a huge contrasty bright spot in a random area of my image.

Also when using the local adjustments I might want to make very small adjustments (value wise) so it's not helpful that I have to select the value with my mouse, or maybe a pen.

There needs to be a way to raise the value in small increments, maybe fix it so we can use up and down arrows to adjust strength of affect. 

rtdj customer

Re: DXO PhotoLab issues and work-arounds
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:38:19 pm »
Now here are just things I wish DxO would implement .
I see you can create presets and I made several but, there's no way to tell which preset you have on an image. It would be nice if the preset editor could compare the settings that are on the image with the preset files, and highlight the setting or settings that have the greatest similarity.

I also wish they would overhall the crop feature, pretty much every other program allows you to select the crop based on desired number of pixels. I'm thinking something more similar to gimp, with that I can lock in maintain aspect ratio then put in how much I want a dimension to be and it would adjust the other dimension and take an equal amount from all sides just like i want.

This is extremely helpful when you have a camera with a viewfinder that is less than 100% coverage. Because those that do know that making that adjustment to get to true view becomes a natural part of their workflow.

Also since you don't offer refunds, but offer free upgrades to the latest software when a new one comes out to those that have purchases it, to secure their investment and ensure they remain customers; surely it's not too much to give free access to full versions of the previous version of a program if we buy the latest when it's brand new and still buggy.

It's no loss to Dxo as the website already states they don't sell the previous versions once they update and don't support them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:44:08 pm by rtdj customer »

macroimage

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:13:00 am »
If you really want to try the previous version, i.e. DxO Optics Pro 11, you can still get it for free until Nov 30 from:
http://www.dxo.com/us/practicalphotography

Ian Anderson

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:36:31 am »
Second, you can't delete a mask. All I can do is hide it, undo it, or reset all the adjustments.
And I want to be able to place the mask tool wherever I want by that i mean the icon, I want to be able to place and move the masking icon/tool without having to put down a brush stoke first or whatever.

There needs to be a way to raise the value in small increments, maybe fix it so we can use up and down arrows to adjust strength of affect.
I agree with you 100% on these two.  Not being able to delete a mask is a bug, IMHO.  And the arrow keys would be handy, for sure.

Bjoran

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 11:34:01 am »

I agree with you 100% on these two.  Not being able to delete a mask is a bug, IMHO.  And the arrow keys would be handy, for sure.
In the Mac-version of PhotoLab you delete a mask by selecting the mask and then hit the backspace key. Not so in the Windows-version?

lenmerkel

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »
From page 48 of the User Guide (Creating and managing masks):

"If you want to delete a mask, activate it, then press the Enter key (macOS) or the Delete key (Windows)."

Sigi

• Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:00:29 am »
From page 48 of the User Guide (Creating and managing masks):

"If you want to delete a mask, activate it, then press the Enter key (macOS) or the Delete key (Windows)."

As the y always say: RTFM - before you ask a question

photography
photography