Author Topic: Feeling ripped off.  (Read 4086 times)

rsoen

Feeling ripped off.
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:17:16 am »
Really feel ripped of. Because there was no local adjustments I switched to Capture One. Questions on this forum where not answered. Why not tell your customers that it was in the pipeline? Would have saved me 300 euro. They can learn a lot from Caputure One about customer support.

A angry customer.

cvandevoorde

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeling ripped off.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »
Hi Rsoen,

As you may know, local adjustments came together with a joint announcement with Google about Nik Software acquisition. For legal reasons, we could of course not disclose anything beforehand.

Sorry about the extra acquisition you made,
Claire

dvan

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
Would be nice to have indicators like "exploring local adjustments at various levels" or something. Wouldn't have need to say where they were coming from or other specifics. Just what directions you were working towards (or not) in regards to our "want" lists. As it has been, we have no idea what could be next or where efforts are going in this regard.

Know you need to limit expectations to prevent disappointment, but a black hole dosn't do that.

rsoen

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
Would be nice to have indicators like "exploring local adjustments at various levels" or something. Wouldn't have need to say where they were coming from or other specifics. Just what directions you were working towards (or not) in regards to our "want" lists. As it has been, we have no idea what could be next or where efforts are going in this regard.

Know you need to limit expectations to prevent disappointment, but a black hole dosn't do that.

Yes, indeed. There was a black hole. And because I really need my software to make some money I decided to change to Capture One. DXO was 300 Euro down the drain.

JG777

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:32 pm »

Yes, indeed. There was a black hole. And because I really need my software to make some money I decided to change to Capture One. DXO was 300 Euro down the drain.

Well you made a decision based on what was available at the time. DxO never ripped you off, you can't really expect any company that is negotiating legal agreements to participate in disclosure whilst their competitors are watching. Yes it was bad luck or bad timing and that's unlucky, but honestly you can't blame DxO !

rtdj customer

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:23:48 pm »
No I feel ripped off, I expected a fully functional program when I switched to PhotoLab, and on top of still having to purchase viewpoint and filmpack instead of having them integrated with the new program.  It still has major issues,  the local adjustment functions is clunky and completely messes up the undo redo function. I couldn't load anything else unless I pasted it in and even then I couldn't go back,  it would always go back along the local adjustment path instead.

And to top it off, one day later, I CAN'T GET A REFUND!
I'm pretty upset, I spent all my money on this instead of buying two lenses.

JG777

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »
No I feel ripped off, I expected a fully functional program when I switched to PhotoLab, and on top of still having to purchase viewpoint and filmpack instead of having them integrated with the new program.  It still has major issues,  the local adjustment functions is clunky and completely messes up the undo redo function. I couldn't load anything else unless I pasted it in and even then I couldn't go back,  it would always go back along the local adjustment path instead.

And to top it off, one day later, I CAN'T GET A REFUND!
I'm pretty upset, I spent all my money on this instead of buying two lenses.

When I looked at the web site before I bought Photolab Elite it was quite clear there were 2 editions, Essential and Elite with the options to further purchase Viewpoint 3 and Filmpack, so what made you expect all of this to be integrated?

If you have a tech issue with the software or it simply does not work well for you did you notice this when you did user acceptance testing with the 30 day trial? You did test the trial didn't you?

Ok, some people will not like the package ,for some it will not suit their needs we all have different expectations but to suggest you were ripped off as did the OP kind of implies DxO actually swindled you which is more than disingenuous given that you had the option to fully test the software for a month plus VP3 and Filmpack.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 06:49:29 am »
JG777 has an excellent point which needs emphasising when he writes:

"If you have a tech issue with the software or it simply does not work well for you did you notice this when you did user acceptance testing with the 30 day trial? You did test the trial didn't you?"

The testing period for major software is often something that folk skip and jump right in and shell out major amounts of money often which they regret later. I am not saying that the OP did this, only he knows what testing he did, but it really is vital to test a new app before buying and if you do not do so then you have no one to blame except yourself if the software does not meet your expectations.

Also I think it is fair that you can not get a refund under the circumstances you describe; any software company who provides a 30 day testing period can reasonably expect that the buyer has made sure that the product fulfils their requirements. I have got refunds in the past from software companies but only for technical reasons when the product did not do what it advertised it would do and on one occasion when my account was hacked and it was not me who bought the package. In the latter case I could support my claim and there was no problem in getting the refund, but when you knowingly buy software it is a different matter.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

rsoen

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
Just one more thing about this. I have been in the software industry for more than 20 years. If a software seller does not answer question on his forum and posting is restricted. (It was not possible to post screenshots on this forum) then that is in 99% of the case a sign that the software is dead. For months questions were not answered. Info about hte future of the software not given. The best advice is move to another supplyer. On the moment Adobe announced the the future would be cloud based lots of companys are seeing a quick way to make money. And yes, I did try the software. And yes, I love the Prime noise reduction. And yes, me and other people asked for local editing because that would make for us a big difference. And yes, DxO  did not answer any question for months. I only got very annoying emails about that DxO camera. Time to move on. Bye Dx).

JG777

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 01:09:50 pm »
Just one more thing about this. I have been in the software industry for more than 20 years. If a software seller does not answer question on his forum and posting is restricted. (It was not possible to post screenshots on this forum) then that is in 99% of the case a sign that the software is dead. For months questions were not answered. Info about hte future of the software not given. The best advice is move to another supplyer. On the moment Adobe announced the the future would be cloud based lots of companys are seeing a quick way to make money. And yes, I did try the software. And yes, I love the Prime noise reduction. And yes, me and other people asked for local editing because that would make for us a big difference. And yes, DxO  did not answer any question for months. I only got very annoying emails about that DxO camera. Time to move on. Bye Dx).

Not sure what the relevance of your 20 years in the software industry is but the software industry is no different from any other, in respect of the fact that few if any companies will announce on public forums their intentions about acquisitions and mergers before anything is rubber stamped. Those things require a degree of confidentiality and no company will want to broadcast details for their competitors to see and possibly undermine. This is different to a company roadmap for example where a company might state a future wish list without committal but then that would not have answered your questions either.

That's what has happened in the case of DxO taking over Nik. So OK that leaves a few people in the dark, that's just an unfortunate result of the default position and for yourself unfortunate timing, but its the difference now between what was very good software previously and something that is now excellent and will be developed. That has to be good news for people who do not want LR subscription or other inferior and less featured products. Above all though it reinforces the fact that actually you were not ripped off.

rsoen

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »
This is really the last thing I say about it. You could, like any other company told your custumers to wait because something was in the pipeline. But you choose not to react to your customers at all. And that is wrong, we pay your product, we should know what happends with its future.  You do not have to tell us what you actually doing. We, the cusatomers understand that you do not tell us everything. But give us a little bit of a clue what direction you are going. Your software is our bread and butter. And yes, 20 years in the software industry learned  me to see when a company is just lining there pockets. This behavior is  an indication about what a company like you think about customers. Look at Nokia and Blackberry, they did the same and do not exist anymore. 

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 06:31:27 pm »
Actually you are factually wrong here, I certainly recall reading posts saying that something big was in the pipeline! But you have made up your mind and that is fine. Those of us who are very happy with the software have also made up our minds and that is also fine. In the end it is horses for courses.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Vladoslav

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 06:17:39 pm »
Hi Rsoen,

As you may know, local adjustments came together with a joint announcement with Google about Nik Software acquisition. For legal reasons, we could of course not disclose anything beforehand.

Sorry about the extra acquisition you made,
Claire

What legal implications have the Local Adjustments?

lenmerkel

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 07:19:17 pm »

I imaging it's that the local adjustments feature is derived from and built on the Nik technology DxO acquired from Google. The specific details of such business acquisitions are generally not public, but they almost always involve non-disclosure agreements - and lawyers love them!

Vladoslav

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 04:44:30 pm »

I imaging it's that the local adjustments feature is derived from and built on the Nik technology DxO acquired from Google. The specific details of such business acquisitions are generally not public, but they almost always involve non-disclosure agreements - and lawyers love them!

Local adjustements are wel, just local adjustements and NIK is just an extension to layers.

photography