Author Topic: Remove Name = "original_file.raw" in .dop files  (Read 1552 times)

tokumeino

Remove Name = "original_file.raw" in .dop files
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »
DXO PhotoLab's focus is on image processing, and not on image organization, which is perfectly fine since IP is so nice and we now have locals  8)

But since DXO-PL doesn't integrate a Digital Assets Management (DAM), many poeple rely on a third party DAM so as to organize their pictures. I think that DXO should facilitate third party DAM job an not make it harder.

It turns out that in a typical .dop file, there is a reference to the original filename : Name = "original_file.raw". Since .dop files include several virtual copies, I don't get the point of having this reference :

• it doesn't add information sice .dop and .raw file share the same basename
  • it prevents tool from renaming files (raw+dop) without modifying strings inside the .dop files, and third party software indeed should not modify propriotary dop files, IMO

So could you please remove this reference in .dop files, and perhaps globally the whole Items={} section ?

lenmerkel

Re: Remove Name = "original_file.raw" in .dop files
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:28 am »
I think you are mis-reading the .dop file contents. What you are asking for would "break" the .dop file. It is essentially a set of nested structures:

SIdecar > Source > Items (array) > OutputItems (array).

There is one and one only Sidecar structure. It is the root.

The Sidecar contains one and one only Source. It represents the "origin" of the image.

The Source contains an array of Items. Each entry in this array represents a virtual copy. It contains the virtual copy's settings, processing status, rating, etc. The name element here refers the virtual copy back to the original raw file. The sequence of Items in the array defines the number given to the virtual copy. This is a pet gripe of mine, as removing a virtual copy effectively renames all of the following virtual copies, then their output images when re-exported. That's ugly.

Each Items entry contains an array of OutputItems. Each entry in this array represents an image file exported from it's "parent'" virtual copy.

So, removing the Items array from the .dop file would mean removing all information for virtual copies. Not good.

However, I do agree with you that the file & file naming aspects of PhotoLab and its OpticsPro predecessor are probably the weakest aspects of an otherwise excellent program. Basically, I don't rename files after they've been created, and I don't delete virtual copies once any output files have been exported. All just to maintain file naming sanity.  :o

FYI, I use a DAM tool to manage my images (IMatch 2017), so image file names and their folder locations aren't all that important - just as long as they're unique.  ;)

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:51:22 am »
@tokumeino

It seems you met with PhotoLab right now first.
The sidecar needed ONLY when the particular image have to move from its original location, to another place or the Database was deleted. In such cases the app able to reload the settings belongs to only one image, otherwise you have to start the editing from scratch. If you omit or rename ( try it ) the original filename from the sidecar, PL will unable to find the image among your drives and neglect the settings in the sidecar. It is searching the original image only in one folder, from where you actually loaded the Filmstrip content. However, it is up to you to generate sidecars or not. If you find it is not useful, just delete.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:55:39 pm »
I had the same issue with renaming files in a different environment than DOP. I created 2 threads about it: Bug: file names on screen don't match and Tip: How to find and replace text in a text file like .dop..
As a matter of fact it didn’t work well and I stopped bothering about it.

Nick

photography