Author Topic: Apple Photo Plugin/Extension?  (Read 1217 times)

Top362nd

Apple Photo Plugin/Extension?
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:47 pm »
Does Photo Suite have an Apple Photos Plugin/Extension like OpticsPro did?  I see people talking about it but if it exists I can't figure out how to install or enable it.  The only possible way I can see to open Apple Photos files directly is to work inside  Photo Suite and to browse under Pictures -> Photo Library, and to try to find what I am looking for that way.  Is there a way to call Photo Suite from inside Apple Photos?

David Kelly

Re: Apple Photo Plugin/Extension?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:58:49 pm »
I am using High Sierra and I can say that you can edit from there into DXO PhotoLab. All you need to do is not be in the editing mode. If you are in the browser mode you need to right mouse click or control click the image and click on "Edit With" from within the menu. There you should find DXO PhotoLab and other DXO software. If it doesn't show up click "other" at the bottom of the menu and go to your applications folder and you should find it there.

BrianBotts

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:13:30 am »
I don't believe that "Edit With" passes the RAW file, but rather a 16-bit TIFF file to DxO.
We need DxO to build an extension for Photos like they did with the light weight, Mac App Store sold DxO OpticsPro app.

ColinG

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »
Why would you want to go from Affinity to DxO? I would have thought the other way round was better - edit the raw in DxO and then pass a tiff to Affinity if that sort of editing is required.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:30:19 pm by ColinG »

OldRadioGuy

• Amateur Photographer, retired journalist/educator
    • My SmugMug Images
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:08:50 pm »
I don't believe that "Edit With" passes the RAW file, but rather a 16-bit TIFF file to DxO.

I don't use Apple Photo, but in my workflow, this assumption would be incorrect.

In ACDSee Photo Studio, selecting DxO PhotoLab from the right-click "Open With" causes PL to open the raw file. The TIFF comes into play when the development/editing operation is completed, and it's time to return to the host application. 16-bit TIFF is one of the output options.

In my situation, opening the folder in Finder shows that DxO PhotoLab has created a sidecar file  -- xxx.ORF.dop -- associated with my ORF raw file.

Does Finder reveal a similar file in your case?
DxO PhotoLab | DxO FilmPack 5 | DxO ViewPoint 3 | ACDSee Photo Studio | Affinity Photo |
PhotoLine 20 | macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 |

ColinG

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:10 pm »
What are we talking about here, if we are talking about Apple Photos then it sends a tiff to PL when using edit with. Have just tried it again. DxO uses sidecar files by default but you can switch them off and have the edits saved in the database. User choice.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:40:14 pm by ColinG »

photography
photography