Author Topic: File Renaming on Export  (Read 2888 times)

Neil1314

File Renaming on Export
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:59:24 am »
I take it that its not possible to give files meaningful names in the Export to Disk function, or have I just missed something

KolinP

• My photography doorway
Re: File Renaming on Export
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:24:39 pm »
Hello Neil and welcome to the forum,

We do have the option to add a 'suffix' to the end of the existing filename when the new file is created, and this hasn't changed in DxO PhotoLab.

You'll see that on the right-hand panel of the Export To Disk - Options box, there's a "Suffix" field that can be set to a different value for each export 'option'.

Or do you mean some other type of filenaming, like a template-based scheme or similar?

For example, I'd like to be able to include one or more characters (optionally) to indicate when I've switched from 'High' noise reduction to 'Prime' for a particular edited image ... but you might have another idea in mind?

Colin P.
Nikon D700. DxO Photolab Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

geoffcbassett

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:59:10 pm »
I also would greatly welcome a renaming feature on export.

Asser

File naming on export
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:54:18 pm »
Hi,

I have created a ticket for this but would like to know, what other users think about this. I have the following problem:

If I develop a raw called <filename>.cr2 and disable all extensions in the export dialog, the file is exported as <filename>.jpeg

Now assume that this JPEG is assigned by name to the raw file in a DAM tool after export.

If the user now enters PhotoLab after some time and adapts the develop settings and reexports the JPEG, it is exported under the same name and the connection in the DAM tool is kept alive.

Now the user desides to create an additional virtual copy from the raw in PhotoLab, adjusts the develop settings on the second version only and reexports the two developed versions. The first version is now exported as <filename>_1.jpeg, the second one as <filename>_2.jpeg

Instead of having two versions on disc, we now have <filename>.jpeg, <filename>_1.jpeg and <filename>_2.jpeg, where the first two are clones. The user must at least start the manual deletion of <filename>.jpeg, because the version is represented by <filename>_1.jpeg now.

It would help much if the first version name would be kept stable as <filename>.jpeg independently of the virtual copy count. So like that:

<filename>.jpeg
<filename>_2.jpeg
<filename>_3.jpeg

instead of:

<filename>_1.jpeg
<filename>_2.jpeg
<filename>_3.jpeg

What do you think about it? This is what an operating system would do on naming collisions and there is a good reason for it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:59:44 pm by Asser »

Neil1314

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
Sorry about the delay in replying, but yes I want to be able to rename the file as per Lightroom.  That is being able to give a meaningful name ie  " Church.jpg " 
Don't think that would too difficult to implement

Asser

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:23:29 pm »
It would also be helpfull, if the exported names would be stable and not depend on the virtual version count:

http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,13634.0.html

Wildcat59

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:56:54 am »
I would like to have the feature to batch rename the master files using a combination of manual text and EXIF metadata.  That way, the master file, sidecar, and exported to disk would all be in synch with the same filename.  I shoot in raw, so I would have NEF, DOP, and JPG in the end.

Right now, I am adding an extra step in my workflow, using GeoSetter to rename my NEF files before opening in PhotoLab.

courtox

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:45:24 am »
Hi,
I also need this feature. I've made a new post in MAC forum to request that.

http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,13813.0.html

Could you please explain how to open a ticket?
Francis
MacBookPro mid 2010, OS/X El Capitan  memory  8Giga storage 4Tera
Olympus E-M5 MK II 17mm f/1.8 / 25 mm f/1.4 /45 mm f/1.8  /75mm f/1.8

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:19:28 am »
Hello courtox,

If it's a request, then a post in the Forum is enough.
If you have a bug and need an assistance, then you should submit a ticket here - https://support.dxo.com

Regards,
Svetlana G.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

photography