Author Topic: DXO PhotoLab integration with Apple Photos (High Sierra)  (Read 6830 times)

ashrafkk

DXO PhotoLab integration with Apple Photos (High Sierra)
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:51 am »
Hi everyone,
I am trying to use Apple Photos as my main catalog and DXO PhotoLab as my main RAW processor.
Is there a way to pass the original RAW file from Apple Photos to DXO PhotoLab and back, in the same way done with Adobe LightRoom?
I mean when I try to open a RAW file from Apple Photo's catalog in DXO PhotoLab, Apple Photos simply passes a rendered Tiff or JPG file but not the original RAW which defeats the purpose.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:49:27 am by ashrafkk »

KBeat

Re: DXO PhotoLab integration with Apple Photos (High Sierra)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:07:15 pm »
Sort of, kind of...

If you use the DXO Photos plugin, you'll get a limited feature set that works directly with the RAW file and allows you to do things like apply lens corrections, smart lighting, and PRIME noise reduction. You'll then do all of the other editing, which is surprisingly feature rich at this point, within Photos.

However, if you round trip to the actual PhotoLab/Optics Pro app using the new "Edit With..." feature built into Photos, the output to DXO will be a TIFF file, same as as if you roundtrip to something like Photoshop.

The only way to do what you're describing, as far as I know, is from Lightroom BEFORE any adjustments are made. (Once any adjustment is made, you can only output a TIFF or PSD file for further work as there is no way to send a RAW file with adjustments.) DXO will handle the RAW file, and you can sent a DNG (or TIFF) back to Lightroom for further work. You can't do this from Photos.

ColinG

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 12:57:54 pm »
That is not so here. Just did Open With on a nef and it sent a jpeg to DxO. Makes the process worthless really due to the lossy format. Think this is an Apple Photos issue as it happens on every piece of software I have tried.

Top362nd

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:57:05 pm »
I have been using that for a year or so.  It has worked very well for what it is, but it is a cut down version of the old Optics Pro, and far from what is now in PhotoLab.  For example you can toggle Clearview on or off, but there is no adjustment.  What DxO needs to do now is build a tool that works like that for PhotoLab, with all the options, and push it out DxO Photolab for those who bought the package, and perhaps as a standalone plugin if they want to for those who want it only for Apple Photos.  Right now I'm stuck between using an older, crippled tool easily or a more powerful tool that requires a more complicated workflow.  But they both come from the same developer, which makes zero sense.

bruenor75

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:49:40 am »
You could use the export from photos. ->Export unmodified original. Works even, if you already gave keywords to your pictures.
You can export it to a special DXO-Folder. Then you have the RAW. The way back should be easier, because you can export from DXO direct to Photos.

BrianBotts

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:18:18 am »
Top362nd hit the nail on the head.

DxO needs to make an Apple Photos plugin for PhotoLab like they did with DxO Optics Pro for Apple Photos.

Required

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:15:08 am »
Yes this is an area where DxO could make this suite very good.
PhotoLab for the development with the lovely U-point and a tight integration with Apples Photos for management.

Being an old Nikon guy who loved the picture quality Nikons CNX2 software from Nik could deliver (and kind of cried when Google bought them) this would be like a dream.

I have been using that for a year or so.  It has worked very well for what it is, but it is a cut down version of the old Optics Pro, and far from what is now in PhotoLab.  For example you can toggle Clearview on or off, but there is no adjustment.  What DxO needs to do now is build a tool that works like that for PhotoLab, with all the options, and push it out DxO Photolab for those who bought the package, and perhaps as a standalone plugin if they want to for those who want it only for Apple Photos.  Right now I'm stuck between using an older, crippled tool easily or a more powerful tool that requires a more complicated workflow.  But they both come from the same developer, which makes zero sense.

ColinG

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »
I find the extensions in Apple Photos a pain when working with raw as they insist on using jpegs (Apple restriction designed to protect the raw perhaps). But as has been said Apple Photos is  not a bad organiser. What I do is  retain my raws in a separate file outside of Apple Photos. I post process the raws in PhotoLab and then export a tiff into Apple Photos. It appears that the jpeg restriction does not arise when editing a tiff via an extension - a tiff is passed to and from.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:24:21 pm by ColinG »

nicholasg

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:51:15 pm »
So when editing in RAWs using "Edit With" Photos sends a TIFF (I have seen this using Pixelmator) and gets back a JPEG.

When editing using an Extension (such as DXO OpticsPro for Photos) Photos sends a RAW and receives back a JPEG.

So I think the Extension approach is best if you use Photos. Its a shame Photolab is not available to run as an Extension.

ColinG

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 05:03:30 pm »
I ran extensive tests on several extensions and found that once a raw had been edited in Photos it sends a jpeg to the extension and takes a jpeg back. Essentially once edited there is no easy way back to the raw file so you if you edit further you edit a jpeg and every time you do that the image is degraded. Using external editors from within Photos is still broken in my view and is not worth the effort unless you are just a happy snapper - but then the onboard tools in Photos are better than fine. That is why I use a stand alone editor for my raws, sending an edited version in tiff format to Photos. My  raw files are kept in a separate archive.

nicholasg

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:46:35 am »
We are both correct. Once you have edited a RAW file in an Extension (such as DXO OpticsPro for Photos), if you open it in a second Extension, the second Extension is sent the edited JPEG. You can revert to the RAW, but obviously you lose your first set of edits.

This means you really need an Extension that could do everything you want.m I agree round tripping twice is not good in Photos.

Now I like the stripped DAM functionality of Photos, and think I could be happy with it and Photolab, if the complete Photolab application was available as an Extension.

ColinG

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 09:19:07 am »
The extension mechanism is broken because you are driven to jpegs when working from raws. The problem is you are hoping to make a flawed app (Apple Photos)  behave as reasonable people would expect. You can force it to send the original photo (even if a raw) to the extension (revert to original) but all edits are lost by so doing and you will still get a jpeg back. Better to edit the raw in DxO PL and then export an edited tiff into Photos. But whatever works for you - I will never use the extension but do find Edit With useful sometimes as it produces a further copy of the image.

WayneH

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:44 am »
I believe there is a way to get the RAW image from Photos to PL for editing;

1. Go to edit tools by pressing enter after selecting the image in Photos.

2. Don't click Edit in the top right hand corner, instead go to # 3 below.

3. Photos Menu Bar > Image > Use RAW

4.  Go back to OS Photos click on the icon to open the External Editors, this will open the OS Photos External Editors window with the selected Image and the list of available editors, select PhotoLab. NOTE: it takes a while for the External Editors window to load because you selected the RAW image, processing the RAW image seems to use a lot of RAM (I have 8GB) and while this is happening other functions on my Mac are very slow.

5. Select PL from the list of external editors. This will open PL with the Raw Image available to edit.

6. Once finished editing in PL, go back to the Photos window and in the top right corner click the button "Save Changes".

7. Next you'll be back at the Photos Library, you'll see the image just edited in PL with the little icon in the top right corner showing it's an edited image.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:39:21 pm by WayneH »

ColinG

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:00 pm »
I have def given up using external editors from AP. If you now try to edit that image again a jpeg will be sent to DxO you have to revert to original which loses all edits to date. It is just not worth the hassle. Far netter to keep the raw files outside of AP, edition DxO and then send a jpeg or tif to AP for filing purposes.

photography
photography