Author Topic: DxO OpticsPro, ViewPoint and FilmPack have been abandoned  (Read 366 times)

afoxson

DxO OpticsPro, ViewPoint and FilmPack have been abandoned
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:18:24 am »
OpticsPro and ViewPoint haven't had anything but minor updates the entire past year. FilmPack 5 was released three years ago. It's clear to me that DXO simply is not interested in maintaining these products.

The lack of communication from DXO is very telling. Especially telling is there has been absolutely no information released regarding whether or not there will even be a DXO OpticsPro 12.

This is very sad since I really do love OpticsPro and it's going to kill me to have to transition to C1 and/or Luminar, but if these products aren't going to have a respectable ongoing commitment from DXO, then I'm going to have to move on.

KolinP

• My photography doorway
Re: DxO OpticsPro, ViewPoint and FilmPack have been abandoned
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »
Hi afoxson, and welcome to the Forum,

From my point of view ... although the main DxO Optics Pro and Viewpoint programs have not had obviously-major updates for a while, there has been a steady stream of new modules to support newly-introduced lenses and camera bodies, which of course continues to extend the number of photographers for whom DxO Optics Pro and Viewpoint will be useful.

(I don't use the FilmPack add-on.)

Yes, it's frustrating and sad that DxO Labs are slow to implement (or even to acknowledge) some soundly-argued changes proposed by Users in the Feature Requests section of this Forum, but I'm pleased too that DxO Labs are not making "changes for the sake of change" to the main DxO programs.

I think I'm sort of half-agreeing with you afoxson!!  But I'm more inclined to applaud 'stability' in our software versions, which is all-too rare these days, rather than forever needing to re-learn and re-adapt to more or less subtle changes in (for example) how our adjustment sliders behave, etc..

I'm also a user of the still powerful and capable Nikon Capture NX2 (albeit for our older Nikon cameras), but DxO Optics Pro's background has been long and stable ... and yes, perhaps its development has been bit 'laid back' ... but I wouldn't hurry to dismiss DxO Optics Pro as a superb replacement for NX2.

Colin P.
Nikon D700. DxO Optics Pro Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

afoxson

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:23 am »
Hi afoxson, and welcome to the Forum,

From my point of view ... although the main DxO Optics Pro and Viewpoint programs have not had obviously-major updates for a while, there has been a steady stream of new modules to support newly-introduced lenses and camera bodies, which of course continues to extend the number of photographers for whom DxO Optics Pro and Viewpoint will be useful.

(I don't use the FilmPack add-on.)

Yes, it's frustrating and sad that DxO Labs are slow to implement (or even to acknowledge) some soundly-argued changes proposed by Users in the Feature Requests section of this Forum, but I'm pleased too that DxO Labs are not making "changes for the sake of change" to the main DxO programs.

I think I'm sort of half-agreeing with you afoxson!!  But I'm more inclined to applaud 'stability' in our software versions, which is all-too rare these days, rather than forever needing to re-learn and re-adapt to more or less subtle changes in (for example) how our adjustment sliders behave, etc..

I'm also a user of the still powerful and capable Nikon Capture NX2 (albeit for our older Nikon cameras), but DxO Optics Pro's background has been long and stable ... and yes, perhaps its development has been bit 'laid back' ... but I wouldn't hurry to dismiss DxO Optics Pro as a superb replacement for NX2.

Colin P.

Colin,

Thank you!

The fact that there is a steady stream of new lens/body modules does not impress me, nor convince me that DxO is committed to OpticsPro, Filmpack and Viewpoint; they have to do these anyway for DxOMark. Besides, the aforementioned modules aren't "software updates" anyway, they are more akin to configuration files. In my mind, they don't get "points" for keeping up with new hardware as, in my mind, it's a base requirement to keep one's software operating with new lenses and bodies. Finally, I would argue that well-reasoned and popularly-desired feature requests are the exact opposite of "changes for the sake of change."

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:13:49 am »
I hear what folk are saying both here and in a similar thread and I too am concerned that thee seems to be no support from the developers and that is a concern but, for what it is worth, here is my considered point of view on the subject.

Firstly I am not a professional photographer but an enthusiastic and reasonably competent amateur so my remarks should be read in that context.

1) Support is a very necessary part of any software package and as I own all three of DxO's apps I am very disappointed that support seems to have been abandoned by the developers. This is a reason for new buyers not to invest in the apps but that does not help us who have already done so.

2) #1 does not, however, for me make the apps suddenly redundant or useless. They still produce excellent results and I can see no reason not to continue using them.

3) The initial cost of the apps represented a significant investment and I am not about to throw in the towel. I would dearly love support but if it is a conscious decision by the developers not to give support then I suspect that there is nothing we can do about it!

4) I am not one of those folk who like updates for the sake of it, IMHO the better a software is the less less it needs tinkering with.

For these reasons I shall continue to use the suite of apps whilst they do the job I want them to do until something comes along that does the job better and at the moment I do not know of any other set of integrated apps that do that for me.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to move this discussion on to ask folk to recommend other apps that do for them the job that DxO does better than DxO does? At least it would be something positive and helpful to current users who are looking to move on and potentially a money saver for new users who are trialling the software.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Bencsi

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:09:58 am »
 I'm afraid, the FilmPack and ViewPoint development has been finished. Both area is limited to find new development target. Some completion should be applied, but those are not enough to release a new version.
FilmPack - it is concentrated to the celluloid based photography characteristic application to digital images. There are no new materials which expected to be popular and users are ready to pay for. I agree, some add on feature should be great ( e.g. the Frame selection of traditional wooden pattern, Texture selection over the existing 7 ), but there is no real advantage for DxO to spend engineer hours to add.
ViewPoint - the geometry corrections are completely covered for rectangular shapes. Maybe some of us need more distortion tool ( like mesh , sphere & barrel distortion ), however these are not belonging to the main role of DoP.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

photography
photography