Author Topic: Knock, knock, knock… anyone in at DxO?  (Read 12246 times)

Mike1

Re: Knock, knock, knock… anyone in at DxO?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 09:34:33 pm »
I am struggling to think of any other consumer industry who allows customer feedback & input as does the software industry. I am also struggling to think of any other industry that actively maintains consumer "discussions" in the form of online forums as does the software industry. Can you imagine an online business that sells any other product than computer related products doing this?
How about Canon (http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Canon-Forum/ct-p/Canon_Forum) ?

OK, that is something of an exception. But how many consumers would take part in a forum dedicate to their washing machine, carpet or shower? Many consumer products are already very well developed, have more functions than actually get used, and exist in markets where switching to one of the many competitors typically has a very low cost. If General Motors goes out of business, or you fall out of love with them, no problem - just choose from Ford, Audi, Renault, BMW or many others.

Advanced software, on the other hand, tends to exist in a small and consolidating market with a relatively small number of competitors, and unlike physical products could in theory be expanded and extended to cover an unlimited number of needs. The cost of moving from one product to another is also relatively high. Consequently the users and developers both have a greater interest in the product development path than they would with many other products - the developers to maintain their place in the market, and the users to lobby for their unmet needs. It's in both their interests to participate in forums such as this - and surprising that DxO give the appearance of taking their users for granted by failing to participate more. There again some companies (well Apple, at least) can afford to do that.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 06:49:58 am »
@Mike1 I agree with when you say that, "not many consumers would take part in a forum dedicate to their washing machine...) but my point is that the computer industry and more particularly the software branch has somehow got itself into the position of its consumers now not only expecting to be part of its development but many of those consumers feeling grieved when the company does not disclose its business plan to them well in advance. This seems to me to be not only anachronistic but also in the long run detrimental to the company's own interests. Those companies that open themselves in a big way to consumer input spend a lot of employees time, open themselves to accusations of not keeping to their own time-table, raising consumer's expectations that are not always realistic etc. This all costs money and possibly repetitional costs. So from a company's point of view the question needs to be  asked, "Is it worth the hassle?" Various companies make different judgements on this and I can see why they do. If they decide that the answer is "No, it is not worth it" then they have the very great advantage of being able to use the expertise of their staff in doing what they should be doing—developing the software instead of having to constantly answer consumer's often unrealistic and poorly thought out suggestions, criticisms and expectations. Personally I would prefer them to concentrate on improving their products in the way that they want to and which fits into their own business plan than the former. It is my experience that those companies that do this and refuse to disclose their future plans produce better and more reliable products. IMHO DxO is one such company and the excellent DEVONtechnolgies is another although they do maintain a Forum which very knowledgable users answer each other's technical questions with the input by a couple of staff when needed. DEVONtechnolgies are quite up front and often say that their policy is not to disclose their future development plans, a sensible approach given their commitment to highest quality software which most consumers seem to accept but a small minority can not handle.

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

musuka

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 01:27:25 pm »
Thanks Endre

It looks very promising.

Nick_

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:16 pm »
@Mike
I concur with you. I add that softwares like DOP, unlike cars, household appliances and so on, have a niche market with very specific types of uses for very specific users.
There are little differences between cars of the same segment so the consumer's choice is mainly whimsical, following the trend. The badge that's on the grille is paramount in the decision. Some models fail commercially not because they are bad but because they just don't please.
In 2002 Volkswagen introduced the Phaeton, the ultimate luxury car at a bargain price. Rationally this should have been a must-have for people wanting to drive, or be chauffeured in, the best offer on the market. It failed for mainly two reasons: a) people can't take seriously a luxury car with the VW logo on it and b) a cheap luxury item is an oxymoron. The specs listed by the CEO for the R&D show he had absolutely no clue about what luxury car customers actually expect. Driving a luxury car is basically a statement to the masses “I can buy stuff you will never be able to and that don't reflect my actual needs.” It's called sumptuary spending or conspicuous consumption. He was thinking it was the right thing and it proved totally wrong. How come? He didn't ask because he was thinking he knew better.
Many company make that type of mistake and some go even bankrupt.

Most companies spend a lot on marketing research and yet sometimes fail without understanding why. Conversely, I knew the boss of a marketing firm who was once asked by an automaker to make a survey about one of its models that had a higher than expected success in order to be able to reproduce it on others. The result was totally unexpected: a secondary feature that just pleased for its look but it fell out fashion just as fast. People were buying it for no rational reason at all.

This doesn't apply to our situation. Our purchases are driven by specifications and features.
The last Mac Pro model failed because Apple has a long tradition of being certain it knows what its consumers need and want better than they do themselves. Hence the Mac Pro missed its target and many professionals keep and upgrade their older models. Apple has absolutely no clue about what a pro model should be like because they never asked anyone. That's why the hackintosh trend is gaining momentum.
Similarly there is an hemorrhage of long time clients of Adobe's suite because of its new license policy. Did Adobe make a survey among its loyal clients before implementing it? Many of them, fully savvy with Adobe's softs after decades of fidelity, just walk away.

@Allsop
I am afraid you have little clue about what sound management should be, in an ideal world of course. Thinking that making surveys about customers' expectation is a waste of time and money and assuming that “consumer's suggestions are often unrealistic and poorly thought out” are the recipes for failure. You learn that in all business schools.
IMHO, in the Feature Suggestions forum most requests are perfectly reasonable even if some may be impossible to implement in the current framework.

Nick

fhoxh

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 11:32:52 pm »
However, only 72 hours you have to wait to get the proper info.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 04:57:09 am »
@Mike

@Allsop
I am afraid you have little clue about what sound management should be, in an ideal world of course. Thinking that making surveys about customers' expectation is a waste of time and money and assuming that “consumer's suggestions are often unrealistic and poorly thought out” are the recipes for failure. You learn that in all business schools.
IMHO, in the Feature Suggestions forum most requests are perfectly reasonable even if some may be impossible to implement in the current framework.

Nick
I did not say "making surveys about customers' expectation is a waste of time and money" and you misrepresent me. But I will say one thing to illustrate my point that disclosing future plans breeds discontent, I guarantee that as soon as Bencsi's "72 hours" are up and if news is not forthcoming someone will complain.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 04:58:40 am »

Should have read this before replying to Nick!

StoltHD

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 12:18:00 pm »

I think the 72 hours are gone... but I can not see any answers or news from DxO... today its the 25th of October...
But maybe in another 72 hours?

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »

I think the 72 hours are gone... but I can not see any answers or news from DxO... today its the 25th of October...
But maybe in another 72 hours?

Nope, you don't need 72 hours more ;) . It's just a matter of Time zones.
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 02:31:41 pm »
@Svetlana, I should give up you are never going to please some folk! Rest assured that some of us are happy.

sgospodarenko

• DxO tester (Win version)
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
@Svetlana, I should give up you are never going to please some folk! Rest assured that some of us are happy.

;)
Regards,
Svetlana G.

cvandevoorde

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »
Hi all,

After long months of waiting, we are particularly pleased to announce the acquisition of the Nik Collection by DxO and the simultaneous release of DxO Photolab, the new version of DxO OpticsPro that incorporates U Point© technology. We couldn't, of course, announce anything without a proper contract signed  :). But we didn't miss the October deadline!

On a more serious note, DxO PhotoLab introduces a comprehensive local retouching solution that is fully integrated into a non-destructive RAW workflow and includes former Nik Software's U Point technology; an auto mask brush; a graduated filter; and a new Repair tool. In addition to these brand-new features, its RAW-file automatic Lens Sharpness correction feature has also been dramatically enhanced.

Let's close this topic as it is now answered, and I hope to find you all in other threads to answer any particular question you might have!

Bests

photography
photography