Author Topic: Selective tone adjustments  (Read 891 times)

rsoen

Selective tone adjustments
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:33:03 am »
When I try to correct the blacks with selective tone the whole picture changes. Not only the blacks. When I do that in Lightroom or Capture One it only adjusts the blacks. Is that a bug and it is going to be fixed?

Robert

Nick_

Re: Selective tone adjustments
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:42:34 am »
When I try to correct the blacks with selective tone the whole picture changes. Not only the blacks.
Do you mean that when you move the Blacks slider the other tones such as the Shadows and especially the Midtones change too? It shouldn't happen. Dark shadows might be affected but that's all.
Post screenshots.
Nick

rsoen

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:45 pm »
Attached 3 files whre I tryed to adjust the black levels. Adjusting the black levels also had a influence on the red's. If I try the same in Capture One only black if affected. I do a lot of theather photography and have to fiddle the blacks a bit. I am doing it now in Capture One, on top of that Capture One had local adjustments. DxO has a very good noice reduction but the more I work with it, the more I start to miss things Capture One or Lightroom has. After using it for 6 months I am switching to Capture One. 

It seems that the attachend directory is not writable. Can't post them

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
FYR, the site doesn't accept attachments anymore, because the administration of the site discontinued.

The selective tone characteristic is a decision of the software developer. Unfortunately, it is different for LR, PS, Capture One, DoP, etc. PS has a shaded histogram display, showing the effected area, DoP keep it secret.
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

rsoen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:06:21 pm »
The administration of the site discontinued? LOL, how to keep your customers happy. Definitely switching to Capture One, sorry i Bought the full DxO suite.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:59 am »
The administration of the site discontinued? LOL, how to keep your customers happy. Definitely switching to Capture One, sorry i Bought the full DxO suite.

Hang on a minute, surely a forum like this is a discussion group for users amongst themselves not a way to contact customer support, there is a separate system for that which is as far as I know still working well.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Bencsi

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:59 am »
You are right Allsop, however the file attachment feature lost. And nobody take care to repair.
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:10:53 am »
I do a lot of theather photography and have to fiddle the blacks a bit.
I don't know about the other people but I find DOP doesn't do well with pics taken in the dark: theatre, church, at night, etc. The Smart Lighting feature tries to enhance the blacks too much and creates a lot of noise. With such shots the first thing I usually do is to put the Smart Lighting Intensity slider to zero before tweaking the Selective Tone sliders and other functions.

FYR, the site doesn't accept attachments anymore, because the administration of the site discontinued.
What!?
I have the sense we have been abandoned since quite a time. I didn't see a post from Sophie since long.[/quote]

It seems that the attachend directory is not writable. Can't post them
Instead we can put the shots on our cloud or on Twitter and give the link.

Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 01:39:47 pm »
You are right Allsop, however the file attachment feature lost. And nobody take care to repair.

I think what I am inclined to do if and when I have any problem, including the OP's original problem and perhaps the issue of not being able to upload attachments, is to open a ticket https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

photography