Author Topic: After DNG export, file no longer accessible by DXO 11  (Read 565 times)

pnoguchi

After DNG export, file no longer accessible by DXO 11
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:13:05 am »
If I select a DNG file and then export it to disk, I get an error message "This image cannot be processed because it was taken by a camera not supported by this version of DX OpticsPro.

I have searched this forum, but cannot find any other description of this problem. I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, the latest released version.

Any thoughts by anyone? :o

Nick_

Re: After DNG export, file no longer accessible by DXO 11
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:04:27 pm »
Is it when exporting or when you want to view it?

If it's when viewing then isn't it idiotic? and yet this the way DOP works: it generates DNG files it can't read whereas they can be read by all the softwares I tried. There is no problem with LR.
They actually are so-called "linear DNGs" and weigh roughly three times as much as their original RAW files.
I seldom need it but when I do I prefer using TIFFs.
Nick

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »
If I select a DNG file and then export it to disk, I get an error message "This image cannot be processed because it was taken by a camera not supported by this version of DX OpticsPro.

I have searched this forum, but cannot find any other description of this problem. I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, the latest released version.

Any thoughts by anyone? :o
As Nick posted, that is Optics Pro's standard usage of dng files. The software is designed to process dng files only from cameras that produce dng files natively. That is, those cameras that use dng as their native raw format instead of other raw formats (CR2, ARW, ORF, NEF, etc). As a side effect of that policy they will not even open the dng files they export when someone does an export to dng, as I sometimes used to do.

In my opinion that policy made sense when Dxo was selling basic and elite versions designed around whether or not the camera was a crop or full-frame since it prevented users from taking their full-frame raws, using the Adobe dng converter and then accessing them in the base level version of Optics Pro. But since Dxo moved to a two-tiered functional model I do not see the reason for this policy. Still, there it is. This is normal for Optics Pro.

You might want to change your export format to 16 bit tiff if you expect to do further processing on the images.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:22:12 pm by MikeFromMesa »

pnoguchi

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
MikeFromMesa and Nick_,
Thanks for the prompt replies. I regret that this anomaly exists, but I guess I can sort of understand it. The export to TIFF is a good suggestion.

I tried the virtual image function, and that seems to give an extra manipulative image, I hope it can be used as a RAW file.

I agree that this is a confusing issue. I naively thought that that  DXO pro could be used to catalogue manipulated RAW files.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:16 pm »
I agree that this is a confusing issue. I naively thought that that  DXO pro could be used to catalogue manipulated RAW files.

Optics Pro is not a cataloging tool and I consider that to be one of its great advantages. It means that there is no import of images required when processing folders and thus speeds up my processing.

Since I work on a system that I do not use for storing my raws after processing I would end up deleting any catalog anyway, so this saves me both the time for importing images and the time to hunt up and delete any catalog. However I know this is a problem for others who do need the catalog.

photography