Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy DNG RAW format  (Read 1055 times)

Ralf Brinkmann

Samsung Galaxy DNG RAW format
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:58 am »
This week I tried to make some photos with my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge in RAW format. The images are stored as *.DNG, but DOP could not recognize and open them.

Any ideas how I could handle these pictures?

(No, this is not my new camera. I still have my Nikon, but sometimes you are on the road without the big camera ;D)
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Mike1

Re: Samsung Galaxy DNG RAW format
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
I requested 'basic' Android DNG support over 2 years ago, but there's been no sign of any willingness to provide it, let alone anything phone-specific.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to support my original proposal, if you wish:

http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,10295.msg57715.html

For now I've been using RawTherapee, but am planning to look at Linux-based solutions once I refresh my PC hardware and go dual-boot.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:03:24 pm by Mike1 »

Mack

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:24:12 pm »
Given the large amount of Samsung phones out there shooting DNG, seems odd there is still no support for them in the software.

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »
HI Guys,

The DNG format is a kind of RAW data set. Its content is deeply depends on the camera maker. It is not like JPG or TIFF, where the camera senor and lens is an info only, the content not necessary  to modify depends on the hardwares.
If the DxO doesn't make a kind of data converter for each particular camera sensor & lens; the general modification certainly will be worth, than handling the JPG version. The JPG already include such modifications - made by the camera ( phone ) manufacture.
I think that is the reason, why DxO doesn't include all DNG format camera support. The number of new phone models are exceeding the available resource at DxO.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:13:45 pm »
Hi Bencsi,

I didn't know that. I thought DNG is DNG. I understand, that DxO can not support any special smartphone lens. I thought it would be possible to give it just the possibility to open and watch the images and to use some simple basic functions. More than with the already processed JPG.

But it is not that important for me. There are more siginificant functions. People more and more compare RAW converters and even leave top dogs like Lightroom. So DxO must always be up-to-date and further developed, because other mothers also have pretty daughters.  ;)
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Bencsi

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »
 ;) I'm happy you got valuable info.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:50 pm »
Hi Ralf

You must keep in mind a couple of things:
  • DNG is a standardized method of coding raw data from sensors that helps software editors interpreting the file. On the other hand, camera makers like Canon and Nikon for example continue using their own proprietary formats they don't make public. Hence DNG files, whether they were generated by the camera or were converted from proprietary RAW files (by Adobe DNG converter for example), can be read by practically any software.
    Yet, if the coding method is standardized, the raw data themselves are specific of the sensor that produced them.
  • DOP doesn't work like most other softwares: it doesn't use the coded data, whether they are proprietary or standardized, it uses the original raw data themselves. That's why it needs the modules that contain DxO's proprietary method of coding the data for each sensor.
As a result, whereas most softwares are capable of reading a DNG from any camera, DOP can read only the ones that were studied in DxO labs and none other.

Nick

Jan Shim

• SHIMWORLD
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:11:50 am »
I was so excited when I saw a recent DxO update with support for DNG files but was quickly disappointed when I realized compatibility was specific to iPhone 7. Here I thought every camera manufacturer that uses DNG had to play nice and make their files compatible. I was wrong.
Win 7 64-bit, ASUS ROG i7-3770K 4.5GHz, 16GB 1866MHz RAM, GeForce GTX 660, Dual Calibrated Dell U2713H Monitor 2560x1440

Mike1

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »
Yet, if the coding method is standardized, the raw data themselves are specific of the sensor that produced them.
You're right, different sensors will generate different data - so the images will look different and DxO can't recreate the original sensor data. However that needn't prevent DxO from manipulating the DNG data in a basic way, just as it can process JPEGs in a basic way. And Android uses the DNG 1.4.0.0 Specification, which is freely available.

I'd rather do all my processing in DxO, instead of having to use RawTherapee for the DNGs, even though it is free...

Mack

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 10:31:15 pm »
Still don't get why no support given the sheer number of Samsung phones from S6 era to current S8 out there with one lens and same sensor for two years of their production run.  All DNG files and almost every other software can open them without crashing as DxO does.

Also, the drone cameras are shooting with Micro Four Thirds cameras in DNG as well.  No support for the DJI Inspire 1 (2-3 years old) and Inspire 2 X5-series of cameras either for two years running.  Problem is they use a lot of different MFT lenses.

Funny how a newcomer like One1 Photo RAW 2017 opens them (and FAST!)  as well as RAW Therapee freeware, but nothing but a crash or unrecognized file from DxO if it finds one in a folder.

photography
photography