Author Topic: Crop tool help please  (Read 758 times)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Crop tool help please
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:32 am »
I have two questions relating to the Crop tool;
1) Is it possible to change the colour, or otherwise enhance, the grid lines? My eyesight is perhaps not as good as it used to be and  I find the thin white lines not the easiest to see!

2) When I use the crop tool from one of the palettes there is a dropdown menu to choose the Aspect Ratio but when I click the top bar crop icon I do not get a choice, but I do seem to think that when I started using this button I did get a choice visible next to the "show grid" box. Is it possible to switch on this facility somewhere?
Thanks for any help.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Nick_

Re: Crop tool help please
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
1) Not that I know of. I think Ralf Brinkmann did already a similar request concerning the color of the grid.

2) I don't get exactly what you mean: what's a “top bar crop”? It's unclear to me.

Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:18:23 pm »
By "Top bar crop" I mean the crop tool next to the hand in the bar as per attached fig.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:16:28 am »
Something strange is going on, today when I tried it the Aspect Ratio option was available but it certainly was not yesterday! Here is a screen with the Aspect Ratio drop down clearly showing. Is the availability dependent upon any other setting I wonder?

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:48:46 pm »
By "Top bar crop" I mean the crop tool next to the hand in the bar as per attached fig.
Let's say it's the Crop Tool in the Command Bar;)

Something strange is going on, today when I tried it the Aspect Ratio option was available but it certainly was not yesterday! Here is a screen with the Aspect Ratio drop down clearly showing. Is the availability dependent upon any other setting I wonder?
On your screenshot I suppose you cut the Palettes on the right hand side. If the Essential Tools palette is present there the Crop tool is constantly displayed with the Aspect Ratio option menu available.

As a matter of fact, since I don't care for pre-defined default aspect ratios and since I want to be able to crop each pic to taste my first move when I display a folder of newly shot photos is to select them all and choose the Unconstrained Aspect Ratio. So I won't have to bother about that anymore.
My second move, while they are still all selected, is to make a Virtual Copy of them all (Cmd + D). I always make corrections on the #2 copy and keep the #1 uncorrected for future reference (I apply a 2 star rating to it to recognize it). It's very handy. In case I am not happy with the settings I did on #2 I can make a fresh one (or several) from #1 and if necessary delete the ones I am not happy with. This operation is absolutely free of charge. It just adds some data in the .dop sidecar file which amount to some kBs only.

Nick
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:28:11 am by Nick_ »

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:34:38 am »
Thanks Nick :-)

photography