Author Topic: Lens Softness Detail Effectiveness with Enthusiast Compact Cameras  (Read 1442 times)

howward

I'm using a 31 day trial of OpticsPro 11 in Windows 10.  My motivation for trying OpticsPro is to improve the optical performance of Panasonic’s DMC-ZS100, which I’m considering to purchase.  Since I don’t yet own the camera, I downloaded RAW files from www.imaging-resource .com (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-zs100/panasonic-zs100GALLERY.HTM) , and have run them through OpticsPro, with particular attention to improvements obtained by the DxO Lens Softness – Details module.  Results have been modest, at best – barely noticeable at 100% magnification.  This is in contrast to results that I’ve obtained with my own photos taken with my Canon Rebel T3i/EFS 18-135 STM combination, for which OpticsPro does an amazing job of optical corrections.

My question – is my observation of only slight details improvements for the Panasonic camera (and other 1 inch sensor cameras like the Canon G7X-II) typical of OpticsPro 11?  [/i]

Please note that I’ve found other functions of the software, like noise reduction and chromatic aberration elimination to work extremely well.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Re: Lens Softness Detail Effectiveness with Enthusiast Compact Cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:17 am »
I use both a Canon 80D and a Panasonic Lumix TZ-60 and I have found that DxO does a fantastic job on both these cameras, I have not, however, used the DxO Lens softness details module as yet but will try it out when I next process some photos and report back.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Re: Lens Softness Detail Effectiveness with Enthusiast Compact Cameras
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
I have tried the lens softness on a TZ-60 RAW file and it seems to be fine to me. Just to check did you zoom in when viewing? (To see the effect of any adjustment in this you need to be zoomed in quite a bit, try hitting the 1:1 button). Attached before/after screenshots, the after is at maximum settings of the sliders. Hope this helps.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

photography