Author Topic: IPTC Metadata  (Read 2749 times)

obetz

Re: IPTC Metadata
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:48:04 pm »
in the second step you have to instruct GeoSetter to write to the selected files.

Ctrl-S or clicking the "Disc" button will save all changed images, not the selected ones. Ctrl-Shift-S will save only the selected images.

It's worth to mention the behaviour in the edit step (Ctrl-E) when multiple images are selected: Geosetter has a local list of selected images, and to apply changes to all images, you have to use "Set Current Values For All Selected Images". Remember that doesn't save the files but just set the pending changes.

@Ralf: You can instruct Geosetter whether to make backup copies, and whether to save changes in sidecars or the raw files.

Pay attention about the character encoding! I chose UTF8 for everything which is not a Geosetter default. But you might want to use a different encoding.

After all, Geosetter is such a powerful tool that I do not support the request to make DxO a similar tool since it would keep the developers from doing the more important work. DxO shall make nice images, other tools are good for the metadata.

Oliver

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
Thank you for your answer. I think I understood everything, but where can I set Geosetter to make backup copies? Or where can I switch it off? And why are the changed files with the text data in it smaller than the old files without metadata?
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Bencsi

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
@ Oliver

Thanks your correction about the saving commands. In the earlier version I did not found this difference.

@Ralf

In my case there are no more files in the original image folder, but *.NEF. Probably, all other same name files generated by other applications. If you intend to have both - original and keyword added - make a backup folder with the original images.
In respect of the file size, I have different experience. The keyword added version is bigger ( JPG & NEF too ) than the unchanged version. The difference is some bytes only, corresponding to the added number of characters. The total "Size on disk" should be influenced by the disk file system. Same file has different size in disk on NTFS or FAT format. Please have a look on the enclosed sample. Same file placed to an NTFS and a USB memory card FAT file system.
( also you can see my image file folder doesn't include more than original files without date change to IPTC details addition. Compare to my previous message screen shot.)

Endre
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:44:58 pm by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 10:18:52 pm »
Thanks, Endre.

I would understand, if the keyword added file would be some bytes bigger than the original one. But in my case it's just the other way round. So I thought, that Geosetter or Exiftool compresses or cuts something.

Anyway, I would like it, if DOP would offer the possibility to write, store and export all kinds of metadata directly in DOP itself. Not as a must for everybody, but as an option for people who want to use it.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Andreas Yankopolus

• Personal home page
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
Giving DxO Optics Pro a metadata editing and browsing capability would make life so much easier. I'd much rather have this than localized editing.

Nick_

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 01:06:54 pm »
Giving DxO Optics Pro a metadata editing and browsing capability would make life so much easier. I'd much rather have this than localized editing.
Perfectly right. So please support the request I made in 2014: My feature request #1: EXIF data.
Well, maybe there is no one to read it at DxO, but just in caseā€¦ ;)
Nick

Bodan-DXO-Mac

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 05:47:42 pm »
I fully support the request for editing IPTC data with DXO Optics. I am testing DXO Optics Elite in order to replace Nikon Capture NX2. If I can't introduce headline, keywords, description in the RAW format I will not purchase DXO. I do not want add another program or use Lightroom.
IPTC data recorded on RAW format in Apple Fotos are not transmitted by the export function of the Apple Fotos.

Nick_

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »
DxO people, Sophie in particular, have practically stopped writing any post since about a year, yet if you want your requests to be heard it's rather in the Feature suggestions forum that you'd better voice them.
For this request in particular you should either support mine, My feature request #1: EXIF data, or create your own.

Nick

photography