Author Topic: IPTC Metadata  (Read 2030 times)

Ralf Brinkmann

IPTC Metadata
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:06:53 pm »
Some of the reasons, why I left Lightroom, was, that I don't like all this import, database keywords and so on and of course the impressing image quality especially with low light and high ISO.

But now I found out, that there can be situations, where you need these IPTC metadata and keywords, for example, when you work with a professional news portal for their image gallery. I had to use an external programm to add all the metadata to my exported jpg images. Then somebody told me, that files, which are created with DOP, don't contain all IPTC metadata database fields, so you can't fill them up.

I don't know if this is true, because I don't have Lightroom anymore and can't compare it. Can anybody say something to this point?

I think and hope, that future versions of DxO Optics Pro will have the possibility to use, save and export IPTC metadata as well as correct Exif data, if the user wants. I think XPM files are standard meanwhile.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

obetz

Re: IPTC Metadata
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:57 am »
Hi Ralf,

what do you mean by "files, which are created with DOP, don't contain all IPTC metadata database fields, so you can't fill them up"?

You can always add entries. And I prefer to tag files before I handle them to DxO.

Which IPTC fields are missing?

For a thorough inspection, I recommend ExifTool by Phil Harvey http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ and ExifTool GUI for Windows http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

For editing metadata, there are better solutions (maybe using Exiftool in the background).

I'm not sure whether I want DxO adding metadata edit functions as long as there are still problems in the image processing functions.

Oliver
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:47:29 pm by obetz »

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
Hi Obetz,

I don't know, which fields are missing, I have not enough experiences with it. That's just what another user told me. I must ask him.

I have my Nikon RAW files (*.NEF) and when I work with them in Lightroom or Photoshop I can at once add headlines, keywords and so on. As far as I know they can not be stored in the RAW files directly, but in XMP sidecar files (or in the Lightroom database?). So when I export the developed files as JPG I can do it as often as I want and in any size, the created JPD files will all have the same metadata informations.

When I develop RAW files in DOP, there are no IPTC data exported. I have to do it manually with every new exported version of my JPG files.

What do you mean with "tag files before I handle them to DxO"? How do you do that?

I know Exiftool and ExiftoolGUI and also Geosetter, but personally I like IrfanView more. But I don't know, if IrfanView is good enough for that purpose.

By the way: I don't have Lightroom or Photoshop anymore! I want to do everything with DxO Optics Pro, if possible.

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »
You do not say what system you are using but if it is Mac OS you can always use the built-in Photos app for doing this. You may even have an old version of Lightroom somewhere on disk or downloadable that could be used for keywording. I know of someone who has installed LR3 and downloaded a key that is freely available at various sites for this purpose. I am happy with using Photos but like you would like to see it in DoP.
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »
We are in the Windows group, so I use Windows (10x64) :). And I don't have any copy of Lightroom and no key, neither legal nor illegal. But where would Lightroom store these metatags of the RAW file?

obetz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:53:17 pm »
Quote from: Ralf Brinkmann
I have my Nikon RAW files (*.NEF) and when I work with them in Lightroom or Photoshop I can at once add headlines, keywords and so on. As far as I know they can not be stored in the RAW files directly, but in XMP sidecar files (or in the Lightroom database?). So when I export the developed files as JPG I can do it as often as I want and in any size, the created JPD files will all have the same metadata informations.

This should be the case also with DxO. I add metadata directly to Canon CR2 raw files using Geosetter or "plain Exiftool", and DxO exports it as expected. Didn't try XMP sidecars, though.

Quote from: Ralf Brinkmann
What do you mean with "tag files before I handle them to DxO"? How do you do that?

by "tagging" I meant adding metadata: Description, Keywords etc.

Oliver

Nick_

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »
I totally support this request… well, since I already made it in 2014 ;-): My feature request #1: EXIF data.
Please support it.
I use Adobe Bridge as a DAM which fully supports EXIF an IPTC data. It would be extremely easy to implement that feature in DOP and it would be extremely useful for us. It's just text data.
Nick

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 08:01:04 pm »
Unless I'm missing something, the only IPTC type information you can do in DxO is star rating. You can't assign IPTC keywords, headline, comments, etc from within DxO. At least not as far as I can find.

I use PhotoSupreme 3 as my DAM and so assign keywords and other metadata from within PhotoSupreme. I then use DxO to process some of my RAW files. While I've can't assign metadata in DxO the processed jpg contains most of the metadata from the original RAW file XMP sidecar created by PSu3.  PSu3 can create custom IPTC fields and those field are not exported.

I also use LR CC but not as  a DAM but I've noticed that the metadata in the processed jpg and  assigned in PSu3 do show up in LR's metadata information.

Bencsi

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 11:02:13 pm »
The IPTC data handling is not my primary request for DoP, however its role is basic for professional photographers. If DoP intend to stay in the high class of RAW converter application's, such development is unavoidable.
The investment to the image files' IPTC handling, editing, batch addition and recording to original files is certainly not as complicated as e.g. Automask in LC. I think it is substantial.

Endre
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:31:39 am by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 06:45:29 am »
I agree with Endre
...If DoP intend to stay in the high class of RAW converter application's, such development is unavoidable.
This seems to me to be the one sticking point for a lot of folk. Using independent apps to enter data is okay but it is inconvenient and time consuming. So if anyone from the developers is reading this please make this a priority.

Nick_

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:13 am »
If you want to increase your chances of being heard by DxO, folks, you'd better make your requests in the dedicated forum or support the existing requests.

Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:09 pm »
I have added to your original posting hoping that it will be revived and added to by folk. Here's hoping that eventually the guys at DxO will eventually listen and act if enough of us support it.

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 12:01:27 pm »
@obetz
Oliver, it's very interesting for me what you said. GeoSetter and ExiftoolGUI both use ExifTool from Phil Harvey, but I'm not able to write IPTC data into the original *.NEF RAW files from my Nikon. I don't know how to do it. Maybe you can give me a hint. I see only a possibility to read existing IPTC data fields. Must I switch anything to change from reading to writing?
I have tried ViewNX-i and ViewNX2 then (Nikon software) and was able to write data into the RAW files, but when I opened the exported JPG files later in for example IrfanView I could not see all data fields. Only for example the name of the author and the copyright, but not the address of the author. But I am not sure, if this is a problem of IrfanView and other image viewers or of DxO Optics Pro or ViewNX.

Bencsi

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
Hi Ralf,

Refer to your comment to IPTC data write to RAW files, I used to do it with GeoSetter. It is true, the procedure is not a one step solution. In the first step you have to add any details to the existing fields - in my case the geo data, location, etc. - and in the second step you have to instruct GeoSetter to write to the selected files. The modified and not updated files having purple descriptions. After save to file, the description the description became black again.
IrfanView, which is my favorite viewer also, no allow to write to RAW files, bur able to edit and write to JPG files.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:35:57 pm »
Bencsi, thank you for your instructions! This is the first time I had a little success with that program.
Now I see, that there are still the original *.NEF files, the *.DOP files and furthermore *.NEF_original files. And I see, that the new *.NEF files are smaller than the old *.NEF_original files. Do you also have these files?

photography