Author Topic: Organising source files  (Read 4540 times)

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
Organising source files
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:51:54 pm »
As a new user of DxO (purchased it yesterday!) I am interested to learn how folk organise their source file and if there is an optimum way to do it? At the moment I have my source file located on an external disc with sub-folders for various categories, e.g. Landscapes, Architecture, but with DxO's Projects ability I am wondering if it would be more sensible to have all the photos in a single folder. At the moment whilst I am still migrating from Lightroom sub-folders are a help to keep track of everything but with new photos I wonder if it is still a good idea. Any thoughts?
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Bencsi

Re: Organising source files
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:27:56 pm »
Hi Allsop,

The system you described is definitely not recommended. DoP search image files in folders. The load time of DoP is deeply depends on the image number in the folder. If you have a folder with >2000 images, you should go to take a coffee after DoP start and before you can do anything in DoP. Make a test before believe me.
The folder organization depends on your personal activity. Some has Date in the folder name, some give own name for new photo sessions. Unfortunately, the search function in DoP has no result order selection. It will give results on the HDD location.
I personally use the camera name as a first folder name and the event description as send folder name. It is good for general user. For professional, the Project name and Date in the folder name is better.
If you can, refrain to add several thousand of images to one folder.
The processed - exported - images location should be placed in a separate group of images. Place the to same folder as original increase the load time of DoP. I use the Project system in DoP and place all exported images to the same name individual folder in the DxO Projects main folder. Based on the exported images date, it is more easy to locate any image later - rather than DSCxxxx.jpg.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:23:08 pm »
Thank you Endre that is most helpful.  :) If I read you correctly would a workflow as follows be good?

1) Import into Folder with Date of shoot as title

2) Files in this folder continue with original file name

3) Process above  files in DoP and save to "Processed" Folder

4) Sort in DoP to Projects

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:11:14 pm »
Yes, this is what several people does. If you later move images to another location, DoP will handle as new images. First time of such not existing files will be needed, DoP offer to restore the new location link. Test is now.
One more practical advice: regarding to the DSC system include only 4 digit behind the DSC file name start, I recommend you to add one or two digit between DSC and the existing digits. I use the TotalCommander under Windows to rename files in batch. CTRL+M list the selected files only and simple change the _ (underline) to any string. In this case you can avoid file name duplication in the future.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:06:29 am »
Thank you Endre this is very helpful indeed.

After going through the process you outline and renaming I now have a processed folder as shown. I have found, however, that if I then open an image in DoP Customise a new .dop file is created. Should I place the dop and the jpg files in separate folders?  Thanks for all your help.

Bencsi

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:20:17 am »
Unfortunately, the .dop file location is not configurable. It is  a kind of copy of editing settings on one image. You can disable the generation in the Preferences. The .dop file has to be in same folder as the original RAW file, otherwise DoP will neglect. Normally, the Database include same information about all image editing settings. You have to generate .dop files in case you intend to move them later ( e.g. having two DoP on separate computers, where the folder layout is different ).
The .dop files are small ( except you apply a complicate Dust removal pattern ). If you keep the Database valid, the .dop files don't give additional info.

Endre

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:23:06 am by Bencsi »

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:42:30 am »
Okay I understand now, thanks for all your help.
Best regards.

Nick_

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:19 am »
Like Endre I wouldn't recommend putting all your images in one folder for many different reasons.
As far as I know projects are not absolutely reliable with DOP. In case the Database gets corrupted they are lost.
I am using the very basic tree organization too and I think it's the most robust one. I use Adobe Bridge as a DAM so my organization must be compatible with both applications.
I wish those applications would resolve aliases but it's just a dream.
Unlike LR, DOP tolerates your moving files in the Finder provided you keep both the image and its .dop file together.
Nick

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:22:32 am »
...Unlike LR, DOP tolerates your moving files in the Finder provided you keep both the image and its .dop file together.
Nick
Thanks for this Nick, by "keep both the image and its .dop file together" I presume you mea in the same folder but not necessary next to each other?

Vladoslav

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »
This is the problem of DOP files, cannot be in separate folder, cannot be in a hidden folder, cannot be in Sandbox on Mac. But maybe one day...but maybe not.

Nick_

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:05 am »
...Unlike LR, DOP tolerates your moving files in the Finder provided you keep both the image and its .dop file together.
Nick
Thanks for this Nick, by "keep both the image and its .dop file together" I presume you mea in the same folder but not necessary next to each other?
They just need to be in same folder. Bearing the same name they'll remain next to each other if you sort by name but you don't care about that.
I must mention also that if you need to rename a photo you can do so within DOP. It'll rename both files accordingly. Yet you can do that for one pic at a time only.
You can also rename pictures in the Finder or in a DAM like Adobe Bridge but you must make sure that it applies to both files.
Tip:
For batch renaming I use Automator, the genius of the trade. It has a feature I never saw in any other soft: "Find and replace" a string of character.
As soon as I download pics from my camera, before I sart treating them with DOP, I rename them with Automator. If later I need to rename a bunch of them I use Automator that will find and replace the string I want to change in each pair of files.
One more tip: whatever you do in the Finder or with Automator (move files, add files, change names) make sure it's not within the active folder in DOP. It may make DOP crash. The same happens with Bridge. You just need to select another folder and you can go back the original one once you are done.
Nick

michael_engelen

• http://www.meview.de
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 11:05:51 pm »
Why not doing it like Lightroom? The xmp-sidecar files can be  copied, renamed etc. with no problems whatsoever. Because of the extra complicated idea of having the complete filename plus extension in the .dop-filename, a simple multi-file-rename does not work. How stupid is that? Instead it should be as simple as just using the filename.dop and have a distinct section per extension within the .dop file. Still hoping...

photography
photography