Author Topic: Significant contrast variation between OpticsPro 11 & Lightroom CC  (Read 685 times)

Loquah

I'm currently trialling OpticsPro and have noticed something I can't figure out. If I take a DNG file from LR to DxO, do my processing in DxO and then export to LR again as a DNG, the image I get back in DxO has less contrast or more brightness than what I see in the preview in DxO. I've checked the monitor profile applied in both apps, but can't seem to find anything that influences this brightness / contrast difference.

Any suggestions?

Loquah

Re: Significant contrast variation between OpticsPro 11 & Lightroom CC
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:36 am »
I just figured out that this is an issue with the profiles embedded in TIFs vs DNGs. With a TIF file, what I see in LR matches DxO perfectly. With the DNG, LR is applying the Adobe Default profile to the DNG rendering.

Moderators, feel free to delete this entire thread or leave in place for others that might strike this issue.

Gorf

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:56:58 am »
That's very useful info.

I am also trialling DxO & have exactly the same issue where DNG files look washed out, being a little brighter, with less contrast & less saturation.

Is there a way to fix this, because I am considering DxO purely for the Prime noise reduction & would carry out all remaining processing within LR. I understand that if I exported as a TIF, then I would lose processing options in LR.

dvan

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:46:38 pm »
Notice this too with other 3rd party apps. Comparing DxO .tif and .dng exports. Tiff always comes out as expected (matches DxO screen). Dng never does. Using and old version of Adobe Raw it comes out wrong but closer with brightness/contrast, but the colors are off a bit. Not sure how valid this one is since it's so old, but an indicator of inequality.

With Affinity and 2 other apps (which match themselves) .dgn export is "not usable" wrong. Brightened up quite a bit (which effects everything else to various degrees). A 4rd app falls in the middle for brightness, but closer to tiff. So 3 apps agree that the dng is wrong by the same amounts, with 2 others that are outliers (also wrong but not to the same degree).

From what I can tell, the jpg embedded in the dng does match the tiff, but not it's self.

I wanted to use dng for the extra processing ability and file size savings, but not possible from these tests.

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:58 pm »
Hi Guys,

Let ms ask, why force the DNG format usage if the result is not reliable ? The main advantage seems lost, when the DNG format intend to use later. Anyhow, the final file version has to be 8 bit, you  do not loose too much. The TIFF is 16 bit resolution which finally will be converted to 8 bit as well.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

photography
photography