Author Topic: Jaggies in output jpgs  (Read 446 times)

puffin

Jaggies in output jpgs
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:27 am »
I'm downsizing an image that was in RAW and outputting to jpg. At 100% or 75%, the image looks great. However, when I export as a jpg, I'm getting some jaggies. I've tried all of the interpolation modes and exporting at 100% and 300dpi, but it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does in DxO at 100%. I'm using Preview, and "View At Actual Size" when I'm looking at it. The same happened if I open the jpg in FireFox  or Safari.

Then, I opened it on PhotoShop and it still looks bad - jaggies and soft. But I noticed that it's much bigger at 100% in PhotoShop then it is in DxO at 100%. This is true even when I use the Full Screen Viewer in DxO.

I'm on a Mac Book Pro Retina. Because of this, I had to change PhotoShop to use Open in Low Resolution because image sizing was off and nearly double.

Any idea what's going on? The images look beautiful in DxO but the output is unacceptable.

Thanks for any help. I can upload screenshots if it would help.

Valerie

MikeFromMesa

Re: Jaggies in output jpgs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »
I'm downsizing an image that was in RAW and outputting to jpg. At 100% or 75%, the image looks great. However, when I export as a jpg, I'm getting some jaggies. I've tried all of the interpolation modes and exporting at 100% and 300dpi, but it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does in DxO at 100%. I'm using Preview, and "View At Actual Size" when I'm looking at it. The same happened if I open the jpg in FireFox  or Safari.

I am sorry, but it is not clear to me exactly what you are doing. I understand that you are processing raw images and exporting as jpgs, but you also wrote that you are downsizing. From what size to what size? You wrote that you tried exporting at 100% and 300 dpi, but that is not downsizing so I am confused as to what you really mean.

Are you planning to print the photos? Or only view them on a screen? If the latter you might want to try a lower dpi setting such as 72 or 96.

photography