Author Topic: Praise for DXO Optics  (Read 758 times)

JoachimStrobel

Praise for DXO Optics
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »
Over the Xmas and new year period I am usually busy with LR and DXO. I processed more than 4000 photos with DXO. I had no single crash and I love the interface from day one on. I can say I have seldom seen a more pleasing interface that is so great to configure.
I load all raws into LR and then send them to DXO and send them back as DNG. Sending them back as TIFF avoids having to select a camera calibration, but I somehow feel better with DNG. It happens this time once, that Windows re-started for an update while writing data back to Lightroom. That causes trouble as DXO writes _tmp files back before renaming them all at once after the last photo is processed and then makes them known to LR. So, if DXO stops, then one either must rename the TMPs manually and make them know to LR or better, delete all TMPs and start again.
I work with Sony A7ii raws and Scans.
The A7 raws look a bit dull in LR. In DXO I push vibrancy by +10-20%. I use smart lightning  25% and mostly with area selection. I do exposure: Smart and microcontrast: Auto.  I do Clearview whenever it looks good, but never with faces as it makes enemies for live. I usually need to redo the WB which is the only problem in DXO: there is no AWB and the manual picker has no good feedback like in LR. And after sending these images back to LR I have trouble doing AWB in LR as it seems that after all the said DXO processing the WB point is shifted and AWB in LR has a hard time. So this a bit tough and I count on DXO to have AWB soon.
Above 400 ISO I use Prime de-noise and max it out above 12000 ISO. I can even get useful photos at 16000 and above, as those photos are mostly situation shots with people where the content is more important than the quality.
I processed some Olympus photos and need to say, that they would not need a lot of DXO pushing as they did look already quite good.
I did some Iphone SE raws and never seen such a bad raw quality - I guess Apple should not have shown their raws, potentialy good for DXO...
For Scans I worked on 4000line scans in 16 bit TIF format that the scan company claimed that they did process them. I think they did not. These were 20+ year old slides and I remember them from the slide projector times and some I developed as Cibachromes. Only DXO could bring them back to live as I remembered them. May be my memory fades, but I cannot help it. I use HQ noise on all of them, and the other setting close to above. However, Clearview must be used with caution as it amplifies the grain, and it seems counterproductive to first apply Clearview and then kill the effect with excessive HQ noise reduction.

DXO strikes a good middleground. The photos are not too perfect for the Screen but still good for prints (mainly thanks to Smart Lighning), but for prints they are more on the dark side than the too bright side.

I have attaches some examples: The first two photos show an example of the A7ii with and  w/o DXO (Actualy an APS crop with an E2816). And then a scan with and w/o DXO
(DXO 11 on Windows 10 with a lowcost MB and a I5 CPU, adjusted on a monitor set to  a 80 cd/m2 and 5000K))
Durst M601 - Canon F1 - Sony A7ii

photography