Author Topic: I'd like to speed up the loading and operation of DXO 10 elite. Ramdisk?  (Read 578 times)

Drawde5

I'd like to speed up the loading and operation of DXO 10 elite by using a RAMdisk to cache the temp files and working files, and so on? Which files and folders are there to direct to the ramdisk? Would installing the entire program to a RAMdisk help?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:54:18 am by Drawde5 »

jch2103

Re: I'd like to speed up the loading and operation of DXO 10 elite. Ramdisk?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:37 pm »
Before you do that, you should strongly consider using an SSD. If you're currently using a hard disk, the change will significantly speed up your workflow. If you currently use an SSD, a ramdisk may not make much difference.

Bencsi

I made some quick test, but there was no significant performance increase in startup and export.
Installed the ram-disk, changed the image location there, changed the cache folder and the export location has been designated to this drive too.
The ram-disk performance was ~6800 Mb/s compare to my SSD 540 Mb/s read speed. Unfortunately, the bottleneck is still the CPU core # and the CPU speed.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

cyberjfb

Hi,
i also tried several ways to speed the start up time of dxo optics and photoshop.
My experience ist he same RAM-disk brings no real advantage to SSD.

The simple truth is you need enough RAM.  So instead of starting  and closing these programms several times a day, i went to 32 GB of  RAM. Now I start both programms only once a day

For DXO optics you need  8- 16GB and you can process RAW perfectly. My biggest RAW-files are 10834*7780 Pixel.
For photoshop you need more RAM with 16 GB of RAM i cannot process several filters of a picture with 18k * 18k pixel size!  So next machine will have 64 GB RAM, because i want to work with both programms simulttaneously.

Best regards
Volker

photography