Author Topic: Full histogram method question (ex Lightroom user)  (Read 626 times)

Paul_B

Full histogram method question (ex Lightroom user)
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:58:04 am »
Hi, I've been a Lightroom user for a while, and I'm use to doing things there for correcting under exposed images, i.e using Lightroom's Exposure slider to lift the mid-tones and then using the Whites slider to stretch out the histogram further all the way to the right to obtain a full one.

I'm now using DxO Optics Pro. Like Lightroom it has an Exposure slider, but there's no Whites slider. I assume this is possibly because DxO adds on a little bit of its own Whites adjustment as part of it's Exposure Compensation algorithm?

There are a few of my Raw files that were unintentionally shot quite underexposed and I'm wondering about the correct method for obtaining that full histogram in DxO, i.e when i choose the 'smart' option for Exposure Compensation it normally gives a value that doesn't go higher than 1.00. That makes sense because there's only so much lifting of the mid-tones that you want before it becomes too much. However the histogram is still not full. With there being no Whites slider, how do i then obtain that full histogram?

I can think of 2 ways, i.e use Levels in the Tone Curve, or using the Selective Tone Tool. So, which is the correct method? Or maybe there's another way?

Thanks.

Nick_

Re: Full histogram method question (ex Lightroom user)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »
There is one Exposure Compensation slider. It can be used indepently of, hence in addition to the others.

There are 4 Selective Tone sliders.
Highlights is for the whites. Befare it's not very efficient when darkening highlights, hence for overexposed shots. It tends to give a greyish cast. You are better of underexposing a bit than overexposing because DOP is much better at highlighting shadows and blacks. I do most of the time a manual bracketing rather 'to the left' than 'to the right' as many people do too.
There is no correct method as such. Each shot needs a specific treatment. With experience you become gradually able to anticipate what your corrections will do.
DxO Smart Lighting is great for shots taken in ordinary light conditions but is useless for example for shots taken in low light. In such cases I often put it to zero.

Nick

platypus

Re: Full histogram method question (ex Lightroom user)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:52:38 pm »
I can think of 2 ways, i.e use Levels in the Tone Curve, or using the Selective Tone Tool. So, which is the correct method? Or maybe there's another way.

The correct way is the one that you get the desired results on. I usually increase exposure so that the image is close to what I want it to look from a brightness poin of view. Then I either use the tone curve or selective tone tools. I seldom use smart lighting, it can create visible halos in dark areas. In these cases (and most often) I go for the tone curve. Raise shadows, lower lights and increase contrast for the midtones. For black and white images, corrections can be made stronger for a more expressive look.

I think that it is a good idea to try all possible options and see what the tools and their combinations do...

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

photography