Author Topic: Pure White Background for Product Shots  (Read 135 times)

jgiries

Pure White Background for Product Shots
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:45:12 pm »
New user to DXO Optics Pro 9.  Can anyone assist me with the steps required to create a pure white background for a product shot in a soft box.  The background is not quite pure white and I want to make it pure white.

Thanks in advance for sharing expertise.

Jim

Bencsi

Re: Pure White Background for Product Shots
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:04:57 am »
Hi Jim,

The best pure white background - depends on the target size to shoot. A jewelery need a piece of copy paper curved behind the product. A dress need a bed sheet. All of them must be  wrinkle free and have to be equally well lighted with light source(s) between 4500 - 6500 °K color temperature. Most of the photo lights fulfill this requirement. Finally, in DoP you have to chose a white point with the color picker pipette under White Balance.
Generally the background whiteness is less important than the lighting source color temperature.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

platypus

Re: Pure White Background for Product Shots
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 07:36:27 pm »
You could either overexpose to burn the background completely or do it in post processing. Here, you can drag the contrast curve's upper righthand end towards the left.

Not that results will vary depending on how bright the product is compared to the background. Background can even be grey if it gets enough light from a separate light source.

If your background is translucent, you can also light it from behind. This can also make shadows go away if you decide to go that way..

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

photography
photography