Author Topic: Mac Sierra  (Read 1810 times)

Glyn

Mac Sierra
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:53:26 am »
I'm using DXO Optics Pro 7. I'd love to upgrade to the latest but I'm an old age pensioner. Yesterday I updated my Mac software from Yosemite to Sierra. DXO no longer remembers where my files are. Every time I start DXO I have to start from scratch, pointing to where my photo files are. Any ideas?

MikeFromMesa

Re: Mac Sierra
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:13 pm »
Perhaps it is a permissions problem as upgrading the OS may change folder permissions. Are you running OP as an Administrator? I am sure the OP keeps the last open folder stored somewhere but I am not sure exactly where and perhaps your current user does not have permission to write into that folder.

It is a bit of a kludge but if that does not work you might try opening OP using Finder. That is, select the folder you want to have OP open, select a file in that folder, right-click and select Open With -> Dxo Optics Pro.

I know it does not really solve the problem but it might make things a bit easier.

platypus

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
Deleting cache and database files might help. Please note that deleting the database will remove all corrections unless you have OP save the sidecar ".dop" files.

Cache and database are in the following folders:
Caches: /Users/XXXX/Library/Caches/com.dxo.OpticsProNN/
Database: /Users/XXXX/Library/DxO OpticsPro vNN/

(replaxe XXXX with your account name and NN with the OP version number)

You might want to verify here:
https://support.dxo.com/hc/de/articles/219940107-Mit-welchen-Versionen-von-Windows-oder-OS-X-ist-DxO-OpticsPro-11-kompatibel-

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:56:39 pm »
Deleting cache and database files might help. Please note that deleting the database will remove all corrections unless you have OP save the sidecar ".dop" files.

Cache and database are in the following folders:
Caches: /Users/XXXX/Library/Caches/com.dxo.OpticsProNN/
Database: /Users/XXXX/Library/DxO OpticsPro vNN/

(replaxe XXXX with your account name and NN with the OP version number)

You might want to verify here:
https://support.dxo.com/hc/de/articles/219940107-Mit-welchen-Versionen-von-Windows-oder-OS-X-ist-DxO-OpticsPro-11-kompatibel-

Cheerio
Platypus
I don't worry about saving my old adjustments after I process my raw images so I delete these files when I want to start with a new database (OP will create a new set of database files if it can not find an existing one) but the OP might want to only rename them if he or she want to keep his or her old adjustments.

Then the OP can see if removing the files fixes the problem and, if not, can just restore the database files and not lose any adjustments.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:08:07 pm by MikeFromMesa »

crisscross

• Pbase Galleries
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 01:49:42 pm »
I can't remember whether v7 has the 'organise' tab, but think it did - in which case it replicates your drive directory at the left. If you allowed the computer to use one of the more idiotic classifications like 'pictures'/'all my files', its time to pull your image files into a set of logical folders on the main directory. Hopefully images that you processed will have a .dop file following each RAW file and, whereas the DxO Image Browser may not have record of which were corrected and converted, the corrections will still be there.

I am also pensioner, but keep DxO upto date whatever, but will postpone upgrading to OS Sierra as long as possible. Depends on your other usage and if you had good reason to go to Sierra. If not and its causing havoc and you either have Install file for 10.10 or 10.11 on your computer or downloaded it from Apple store you could consider a backtrack

DxO 11 is leagues ahead of v7 and a good investment for serious photographers. You could think how much you would be saving compared to equivalent upgrade of PS!
Chris     Nikon D7000  MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 http://www.pbase.com/crisscross

Glyn

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:32 am »
This is the only problem I've had since upgrading to Sierra. I subscribe to my Ps and Lr, best A$11.99 a month I spend. The DXO update is A$118

mcasan

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:43:42 pm »
Another retiree here.   Get to Optics 11 ASAP.     ;)

Apple seems to be planning to move all the Apple devices to the new Apple File System (APFS) this year.    It could mean the end of 32bit support on MacOS.    So anyone running older versions of MacOS, and especially on older hardware, may need to watch this carefully.   It may be time for a newer Mac.   It will be interesting to see if such a change also kills off Aperture and some other apps.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/01/ios-10-3-will-be-apples-first-update-to-convert-storage-to-apfs/

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:19 pm »
Another retiree here.   Get to Optics 11 ASAP.     ;)

Apple seems to be planning to move all the Apple devices to the new Apple File System (APFS) this year.    It could mean the end of 32bit support on MacOS.    So anyone running older versions of MacOS, and especially on older hardware, may need to watch this carefully.   It may be time for a newer Mac.   It will be interesting to see if such a change also kills off Aperture and some other apps.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/01/ios-10-3-will-be-apples-first-update-to-convert-storage-to-apfs/

In reading the article it is clear that this only refers to iOS right now and that any change for OS X may still be some time off. The release notes for the current OS X version (I am running 10.12) say nothing about upgrading the file system and, although this is probably coming, it may well not be this year for OS X devices.

Even if Apple does upgrade current file systems to the new design it should still be possible for users to store their photos on an external drive (as I do) formatted in HFS+ or exFAT and access their photos that way so even a file system upgrade does not necessarily mean that old versions of OP would not be able to run properly and I think the same is true for Aperture (which I still have on my system).

Just a comment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:34:13 pm by MikeFromMesa »

photography
photography