Author Topic: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one  (Read 11507 times)

Bruno S.

• OpticsPro - Product Owner
  • Global Moderator
  • DxO Team
Re: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »
Hi Nick,
To follow-up with your request:
  • I sometimes need to crop my pics at precise sizes in pixels (for example 1800 x 2000 exactly) and with the mouse it's almost impossible do get the exact values and it's rather cumbersome1. It would be very handy to have editable fields like the one in the Horizon Tool. It could be much faster to set the size than with the mouse.

As you've been already told, we mainly focused on PhotoLab's local adjustment tools, and to work on that big topic, we needed to rework deeply our viewer for better user interaction.
The counterpart of that, is that we also needed to rework some of our tools, including the crop one. It's rightly not completely finalized, but your suggestions which match also our expectations will be taken into acocunt for the next update of PhotoLab in early 2018, definitely.

about the last feedback :
  • The size of the RAW picture is displayed on top of the EXIF data table. It's very handy but it's only the pixel count of the original file before it was cropped.
    Please add another field displaying the size of the resulting cropped picture.
We didn't really think about this, but that's an interesting feedback.
We'll see how far we could improve that, in anyway (I mean it may or may be not in the EXIF panel, but at last that information might be really useful), and be sure that you'll be aware of any decision we'll take about this.

Thanks!

Nick_

Re: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:08 pm »
The counterpart of that, is that we also needed to rework some of our tools, including the crop one. It's rightly not completely finalized, but your suggestions which match also our expectations will be taken into acocunt for the next update of PhotoLab in early 2018, definitely.
Good news. I am looking forward to it!  :D

• The size of the RAW picture is displayed on top of the EXIF data table. It's very handy but it's only the pixel count of the original file before it was cropped.
    Please add another field displaying the size of the resulting cropped picture.
We didn't really think about this, but that's an interesting feedback.
We'll see how far we could improve that, in anyway (I mean it may or may be not in the EXIF panel, but at last that information might be really useful), and be sure that you'll be aware of any decision we'll take about this.[/quote]
Here is the right plan, considering that you not only feel like be nice to me but you really plan also to tap on the huge flow of LightRoom dissidents. IMHO the model you should imitate is Adobe Bridge for example:
  • Make an EXIF Editor and an IPTC Editor
    • The complete set of data must be available.
    • Let the user choose in the Preferences the ones he wants to be displayed.
    • Make the editable ones editable.
  • Don’t even think mixing the EXIF and IPTC with the DxO proprietary ones that are stored in the .dop sidecar. Make a specific DxO Data list that probably doesn’t need to be editable. It needs only the relevant ones.
  • Let the user choose in which order he wants the 3 sets of data to be displayed.
  • For the improvement to the Crop Tool, you should put the two editable fields next to the Crop Button in the same way as with the Horizon Tool.
In a later time you should improve the DAM features just to be at par with the rest of the industry. That’s what most people expect from such an application. Always think about the LR dissidents: not only they are fed up with Adobe’s policy but they also expect a better RAW converter AND at least the same DAM features they are used to.

Regards

Nick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:47:11 pm by Nick_ »

photography