Author Topic: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one  (Read 2644 times)

Nick_

Re: Crop Tool: 3 requests
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:00 pm »
I use Nikon a lot, and Nikon in their infinite wisdom has decided to embrace "almost" 2:3 image sensor proportion. I would love it if DxO could enable one to specify a "default" 2:3 crop on a per-camera basis. Needless to say, this default would not apply to in-camera crops (e.g. 4:5)
This is a different issue. You should create a new Feature request post.
Nick

Nick_

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 09:01:14 pm »
BTW, folks, you didn't say what you think of my request #1 and #2.
Nick

Nick_

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 11:15:29 am »
In response to Ralf's question in his post Move all 4 lines of the crop tool at the same time, I add a fourth request.
In practically all Mac OS applications (I don't know about Win), resizing a window or a selection (like with the crop tool) while pressing:
  • the Alt key makes both opposite sides move symetrically
  • the Shift key keeps the aspect ratio (but the opposite side does not move),
  • the Alt and Shift keys, does both, hence keeping the aspect ratio with the center remaining fixed.
With DOP, only the second feature, with the Shift key, works.
Please make the Alt key one work too like in all apps.
TIA
Nick

Ralf Brinkmann

Re: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »
Oh yes, please!
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

Nick_

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 11:50:31 am »
What do you think of my requests 1 and 2? Wouldn't they be very handy?
I think all of them should be very simple to implement and they would make our workflow much easier and faster.
Nick
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:28:04 pm by Nick_ »

KolinP

• My photography doorway
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
Yes,

I agree with your points #1 and #2 in your original post Nick_

With point #1 - allowing us to enter pixel dimensions directly into an 'edit' field - we would need some extra logic to guard against us entering pixel dimensions (accidentally or otherwise) into those fields that exceeded the dimensions of the original picture. But I'm sure that extra safeguard shouldn't need anything more than simple arithmetic to be applied to our 'typed-in' dimensions.  (I'm assuming also that we are not considering the possibility of expanding or stretching or 'up-ressing' our images by using this proposed improvement - as that would be an entirely different topic than 'cropping' of course  ;D )

And on your point #2 - showing the actual trimmed or cropped image dimensions in the EXIF area (or anywhere else) - Oh! yes please ... I've lost count of the times when I've wanted to know the size of my cropped image!!!

Colin P.
Nikon D700. DxO Optics Pro Elite. Capture NX2. IMatch. NEC PA241W Pre-calibrated Monitor. No plans ever to use Photoshop.
Keen to learn & happy to share.

Nick_

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
With point #1 - allowing us to enter pixel dimensions directly into an 'edit' field
We would 2 fields.

we would need some extra logic to guard against us entering pixel dimensions (accidentally or otherwise) into those fields that exceeded the dimensions of the original picture.
With the current tool you can exceed the dimensions of the picture and hence have black triangles on the sides or the corners. It's OK with me and in some cases it can be handy.

And on your point #2 - showing the actual trimmed or cropped image dimensions in the EXIF area (or anywhere else) - Oh! yes please ... I've lost count of the times when I've wanted to know the size of my cropped image!!!
And what about an extra field displaying the times you missed the size of your images!  ;)

Nick

Ralf Brinkmann

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
I would like to have a possibility to move a frame in the crop tool by keyboard only. Pixel for pixel with the cursor keys (in combination with another key, for example Shift) in only one direction, only straigth, not accidentally oblique.
W10x64 - DxO Optics Pro 11 Elite - Filmpack 5 Elite - ViewPoint 2

obetz

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »
Please make also a switch to constrain the crop area to the area of a tilted image IOW "avoid black triangles".

I also support the request for numerical input fields.

Bencsi

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 09:47:54 am »
Hi obetz,

Just enable the Crop palette / Correction / "Auto based on keystoning" feature. The black triangles will disappear. It is true, probably you have to adjust the position of the crop area ( meanwhile the Correction will go back to Manual ).

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
Please make also a switch to constrain the crop area to the area of a tilted image IOW "avoid black triangles".
OK but make it optional. The "black triangles" can be useful in some circumstances.

I also support the request for numerical input fields.
Thanks
Nick

Mike1

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »
+1 to Nick's suggestions.

obetz

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
Hi Endre,

Just enable the Crop palette / Correction / "Auto based on keystoning" feature.

this covers only a small fraction of use cases. Consider rectangles smaller than the possible area but pushed as far as possible to one side. Even if you want the maximum area, you might want to adjust the position.

I stick to it - there should be an option to limit the crop area to the image area.

Oliver

Nick_

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »
+1 to Nick's suggestions.
Thanks
Nick

Nick_

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 05:01:16 pm »
I stick to it - there should be an option to limit the crop area to the image area.
I makes senseā€¦ as an option of course. It's the case in ACR where it's not optional.
Nick

photography
photography