Author Topic: Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one  (Read 2177 times)

Nick_

Crop Tool: 3 requests plus one
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
    Hi all
    I use the Crop Tool on practically all my pics. It works just fine and it's very convenient. I use very often the Horizon Tool too, most of the time by editing myself the value. With experience it became faster than using the slider.
    Yet I see 3 small improvements to the Crop Tool:
    • I sometimes need to crop my pics at precise sizes in pixels and with the mouse it's almost impossible do get the exact values and it's rather cumbersome. I need editable fields like the one in the Horizon Tool. It could be much faster to set the size than with the mouse.
      Then the procedure would be:
      • Click on the Crop button
      • Edit the sizes in pixels in the fields
      • Drag the crop rectangle to its required location
      • Enter
    • The size of the picture is displayed on top of the EXIF data table. It's very handy but it's only the size of the original file before it was cropped. I would be nice to have the size of the resulting picture as well.
    • I already did that request: I don't see a valid reason why the default Aspect Ratio should be the original file. My default one is Unconstrained. Please add this setting in the Preferences so that people could have it their way.
    TIA
    Regards
    Nick
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:07:41 am by Nick_ »

Alan9940

Re: Crop Tool: 3 requests
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
  • I already did that request: I don't see a valid reason why the default Aspect Ratio should be the original file. My default one is Unconstrained. Please add this setting in the Preferences so that people could have it their way.
TIA
Regards
Nick

OMG, I've asked for this so many times over the years I wish I had a $ for each time! ;)

A definite +1 vote from me!!

Kind regards,
AlanH

Pieloe

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:45 am »
For me the default Aspect Ratio is from the original file   :)

Hit Ctrl+drag to automatically be in Unconstrained mode.
Use Shift to conserve this new ratio.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:33:46 am by Pieloe »

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:45:12 am »
Refer to the 3 proposition by Nick

• Agree to have editable fields for exact size input
  • The file size in bytes depends on the export format.
    How should the app determine ?
  • The default aspect ratio is - probably - same frequently needed as Unconstrained. There is only one click stroke ( Ctrl ) to change. I think it is acceptable
  • I would prefer a pixel step movement solution by arrows to adjust the size more exactly. Actually the arrows have Filmstrip jump function during selected anchor point mouse selection for drag, which is not so typical and smart.

P.S.: I just realized, if the user just click on any movement anchor square and release, the Crop/Correction goes to Manual from Auto mode. It is funny. Unfortunately, it is not so simple to turn back.

Endre
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:30:28 am by Bencsi »
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:04:14 pm »
OMG, I've asked for this so many times over the years I wish I had a $ for each time! ;)
A definite +1 vote from me!!
And wouldn't it be extremely simple to implement for the developers?
Alternately: a button by the control "Make it default".

Hit Ctrl+drag to automatically be in Unconstrained mode.
Use Shift to conserve this new ratio.
I am on a Mac (nobody is perfect  ;) ) and it's Ctrl+shift. I would like to have the setting to unconstrained as default and not to bother.
As a matter of fact when I open a folder of new pics as a routine I select them all then a) I set unconstrained and b) create virtual copies if they are RAWs. It's no big deal but one likes to have stuff the way it's more convenient.

And what about my main request of editable fields, folks?

Nick

Nick_

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:29 pm »
  • The file size in bytes depends on the export format.
    How should the app determine ?
I don't resize during export. I just need to crop the image to specific numbers.

• I would prefer a pixel step movement solution by arrows to adjust the size more exactly. Actually the arrows have Filmstrip jump function during selected anchor point mouse selection for drag, which is not so typical and smart.
I don't understand what you mean.

Nick

Pieloe

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »
I would like to have the setting to unconstrained as default and not to bother (...) It's no big deal but one likes to have stuff the way it's more convenient.

In this case, you can create a personal preset with crop activated in unsconstrained mode, nothing else for this function but some others like "Auto Horizon" ...

Bencsi

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:34 pm »
Hi Nick,

About the output file size. It depends on
- the file format JPG, DNG, TIFF,
- in case of JPG: compression rate
- sharpening mode
To get a rough file size, the app have to fix these parameters.

The pixel step movement means - for me - allow to adjust the crop handling anchor movement  by one pixel. Its position actually variable only by mouse drag. It is sometimes not so fine - when I see the whole picture. The arrows operation still image jump in the Filmstrip, this is what I propose to change the dragged anchor movement by one pixel to four direction. I hope it is more clear. If you need further details, I can add some screen shot.

Endre

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Nick_

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:00 am »
In this case, you can create a personal preset with crop activated in unsconstrained mode, nothing else for this function but some others like "Auto Horizon" ...
Unless I am wrong, you need to apply the personal preset to new pictures.
Nick

Nick_

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 10:23:33 am »
About the output file size. It depends on
- the file format JPG, DNG, TIFF,
- in case of JPG: compression rate
- sharpening mode
To get a rough file size, the app have to fix these parameters.
The output file size is not an issue here. The issue is the image size in pixels, in both dimensions. My first post was probably a little confusing so I corrected it.

The pixel step movement means - for me - allow to adjust the crop handling anchor movement  by one pixel. Its position actually variable only by mouse drag. It is sometimes not so fine - when I see the whole picture. The arrows operation still image jump in the Filmstrip, this is what I propose to change the dragged anchor movement by one pixel to four direction. I hope it is more clear. If you need further details, I can add some screen shot.
I don't understand what you mean by "pixel step movement" and the rest is unclear to me.
Nick

Bencsi

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
Here is my example:
The 'Crop sample0.jpg' is an image need crop. My intention was to adjust this symmetric image to have same pattern on the right side of the handrail ( pink oval sign ). The image is 7344px wide. The manual - mouse drag - adjustment minimum step I can adjust 8px/step in Fit on screen view. Observing the left pattern and the right pattern alternatively is important to find the exactly same crop position. In the meantime I keep my finger pressed on the drag anchor -  ( see 'Crop sample1.jpg' ). Believe it or not, when I do not see the moving anchor, too many times my hand moves it. When I see back, the position changed. Similar  problem, when I want to adjust just one step left, during the mouse button press process, the anchor moves unintentionally. I have to start again from scratch.
This is what I would like to avoid by selection of the active anchor and moves it to any of four direction by keyboard arrows.

Endre

MJSfoto1956

• http://www.jmichaelsullivan.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
I use Nikon a lot, and Nikon in their infinite wisdom has decided to embrace "almost" 2:3 image sensor proportion. I would love it if DxO could enable one to specify a "default" 2:3 crop on a per-camera basis. Needless to say, this default would not apply to in-camera crops (e.g. 4:5)

Michael

John7

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 04:53:50 pm »
What I have (and others) have long been asking is a user definable crop. I use A ratio  a lot and its madding to have to create a profile including it as you then lose the A ratio as soon as you use a different pre-set or you have to create a new pre-set for everyone. If only there were a user definable ratio this could be used in any crop in all profiles. Someone suggested no one at DxO knew now how to make changes to this area of the program, maybe there is something to that but its annoying how good the Affinity cropping is with a bewildering range of options and user cropping options is so it can be done.

Alan9940

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:55 pm »
What I have (and others) have long been asking is a user definable crop.

This would certainly be my preference and via some preference setting or something. But, if I can't have that just drop me into unconstrained when I click on the crop tool; like every piece of photo editing software that I'm aware of does! I understand the key modifiers that enable unconstrained, but what could be easier than being in that mode already and dragging the frame as needed?

Kind regards,
AlanH

Nick_

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 08:56:34 pm »
Here is my example:
The 'Crop sample0.jpg' is an image need crop. My intention was to adjust this symmetric image to have same pattern on the right side of the handrail ( pink oval sign ). The image is 7344px wide.
This is a different issue. What I need is to be able to crop at for example 1800 x 2000 exactly and, to make it simpler, by typing these values in a field like inthe Horizon tool.
Nick
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:04:40 pm by Nick_ »

photography
photography