Author Topic: DXO Optics Pro 10: standard presets and overwrite  (Read 1053 times)

Stefania

DXO Optics Pro 10: standard presets and overwrite
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »
Hello,
I am a new user and I don't understand how the standard presets work.
FIRST issue: In Preferences, I chose: No correction, but when I open an image I see that some options are selected nonetheless (noise reduction, white balance, etc).
I DON'T want ANY presets. How can I do?
SECOND issue: Is is possible to modify a photo AND save the changes directly on that photo? It should be possible by exporting the photo with the same name in the same folder, right?
When I do that, I receive an error message and I can't overwrite the photo.

Priscilla Turner

Re: DXO Optics Pro 10: standard presets and overwrite
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:10:51 am »
To your first issue, I'd say that while options may be selected the adjustments are all at zero. Aren't they?

I have actually made myself a 'No adjustments' preset for times when I want, say, just to apply NR to a .tif. Otherwise my default is a carefully made named preset for raws out of my current cam including the particular colour of that model. I keep similar refined presets for other cams.

To the second, no, one never can save a file onto itself. Call it *new.tif or the like. I usually add a note stating what I have done, e.g. Clearview40, giving me *Clearview40.tif.

Stefania

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:39:13 pm »
To your first issue, I'd say that while options may be selected the adjustments are all at zero. Aren't they?
Thanks Priscilla for your answer. Yes, it seems so. Is it safe to assume that the picture won't be modified, then?

As for saving the image with the same name I read this in the user manual:
"if an exported image has the same name as another image already in the destination folder, a dialog box will prompt you to either overwrite the image already in the folder, or to rename the image being exported so as not to overwrite the other file."
That is why I thought I could overwrite an image. I know this works with an already exported image, probably the issue is with source images. But it is not clearly explained, IMO.

platypus

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:41:35 pm »
OP starts with the defautlt presets that DxO has forseen for raw and rgb files.

If you change the defaults and open a different folder of images, they should be treated with your own preset (NoCorrection) from there on.

If you want to reset the first set of images to NoCorrection, you can do the following:
1) click on one image in the film strip
2) select all images using the cmd-A key combination
3) click NoCorrection in the preset panel
4) click apply

All images should be treaded with NoCorrection.

Please note that DxO calculates new previews that can differ from what you get on your camera's display.

Hope this helps

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:22 pm »
SECOND issue: Is is possible to modify a photo AND save the changes directly on that photo? It should be possible by exporting the photo with the same name in the same folder, right?
There are really 2 answers to this question.

1) You can over-write an existing image that is not the source image. That is, if you have already processed some images and decide to reprocess them you can over-write the images you previously processed by telling OP to over-write them. I do that frequently. And, in any case, I send my exported processed images to a sub-folder so as to not confuse OP with the same images I just output if I exit and restart OP before I am finished.

OP will not re-read your source folder when new images are written there so any new images will not show up unless you exist and re-start OP but I find it best to send my exported images to a different folder.

2) You can not over-write source images because OP is using them. And, since OP can only write jpg, tiff and dng images you can not over-write any existing raw images (like CR2, NEF, etc) at all.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:00:53 pm by MikeFromMesa »

photography
photography