Author Topic: Fuji X-trans again  (Read 952 times)

Valdo

Fuji X-trans again
« on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:24 pm »
Honestly I don't understand the DxO approach to business. DxO test and publish on dxomark phone camera test. I'm sure no phone owner will purchase an DxO image editor software on other hand I'm pretty sure that Fuji camera owners will.
Maybe the rewriting of the raw software editor is not that simple, maybe Fuji has a low market share, but isn't the financial investment in phone testing higher as the expected costs of rewriting the software? From Fuji customers you can expect earnings, from camera owner definitively not!

Merry Christmas DxO

Pat91

• PP Photo
Re: Fuji X-trans again
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 01:39:13 pm »
...higher as the expected costs of rewriting the software?

It depends on what "rewriting the software" means. It's not just a rewrite, I guess. They'll have to find/imagine new algorithms. For example, their noise reduction algorithm, which makes DOP very superior to any other other software in this area, might be closely tied to the Bayer matrix. Maybe PRIME can merely not be implemented correctly for the X-Trans sensor.

Moreover, you might be aware of the rumor about Sony stopping the production of their 16 MP sensors that are used in the Fuji X-Trans cameras. It could be replaced with a 24 MP sensor. This would be the end of the current X-Trans product line. Will they be able to implement an X-Trans like filter on the new sensor while maintaining the same image quality ? Nobody knows (OK, we now have the X-Pro2 and X-E2 with a 24 MP sensor but it's too soon to speak about quality).

Do you think that this will encourage DxO to work on the X-Trans sensor ?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:45:04 pm by Pat91 »
Patrick

Bencsi

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:40:38 pm »
Hi Valdo,

In the worst case you can use DoP through the JPG file format, which is independent from the sensor type. OK, it is not RAW. Make the RAW processing related manipulation in the Fuji native application, which accept the RAW files and continue the editing in DoP. The main difference between RAW and JPG is in the white balance and saturated RGB component processing. The JPG format is almost same quality as RAW, if the highlights are all in the visible histogram area. The 8 bit vs. 16 bit battle: finally will win the 8 bit anyhow, because the monitors and printers have - 95% - 8 bit drivers only.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Valdo

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 04:45:36 pm »
Hi Valdo,

In the worst case you can use DoP through the JPG file format....

Hi Endre,
thank you for reply.

I will follow the path with JPEGs. For squeezed pictures I will use the Silkypix to convert the RAWs to TIFF
and then make adjustments with DxO. The JPEG pictures from my XPRO-2 are quite good, if the light is OK, almost no adjustments needed.
With the X100 (the first generation) is the story a bit different but here DxO works.

Merry Cristmas & BUEK!

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »
Hi Valdo,

That is the point. If you found some workaround to the original Fuji RAW processing, the RAW -> TIIFF-> DxO is a correct solution.

By the way, you use in your message a Hungarian greeting. It was intentional ? Thanks anyhow.

Same greetings from me to you: merry Christmas and have a nice 2017.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Stan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:38:54 pm »
Would love to see X-Trans raw or workaround workflow simplified.   X-T2 on the way, been using DxO since they started long ago.   
:)  "Glad to be back..." :)

David McA

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:58:39 am »
The advantage of Raw/16bit is that much manipulation of the image can be accomplished without much degradation (e.g. banding).  After manipulation, the image can then be converted to 8bit for display. If you start with 8-bit your editing options are constrained.

I use a Fujifilm X100 (Bayer) with DxO but I also have a Fujifilm X-E1 (X-Trans) which I am reluctantly forced to use with other software. I do not want to half process an image and finish in DxO as editing the tonal curve is then split over two products making it hard to finesse the result.

Putting down requests for X-Trans support has been going on for years now. Is it lack of equipment? Staff? Cash? I have seen so many people sharing their disappointment on various forums and social media, suggesting that any investment by yourselves would be very worthwhile. Can we crowdfund you to do it?

Lastly, it's not just about Raw processing. Excluding Fujifilm equipment means no lens profiles.

Please reconsider.

Valdo

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »
Just rediscovered the Picktorial. The v2 was nothing special and forgot it.
The actual 3rd version is very promising, it becomes a full flagged app.
Trying to use it for raw > tiff conversion but run into unknown waters and had no time for detailed information search. Pictorial works in ProPhoto and the tiff export is exclusively in this color space. For the moment I didn't find any ProPhoto related notice in the DxO user manuals.... 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:29:59 pm by Valdo »

photography