Author Topic: Lens softness module not working as expected - please help  (Read 1111 times)

DavidPage

Lens softness module not working as expected - please help
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »
Hi there, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried this with various permutations of lenses and camera bodies but the same problem.

If I click on the lens softness global magic wand I can see the correction preview hourglass start turning and can see the sharpness setting being applied. The lens softness module now displays the blue icon showing it has been activated but the global setting still remains at 0.00

If I then click the blue icon to turn off the lens softness module the sharpness settings are not turned off. They remain applied to the images.

With the lens softness module turned off I can manually move the sliders and the changes are applied to the image but the blue icon is not displayed indicating that the module is not active when it obviously still is.

Am I going mad, is this normal behaviour or I am just doing something wrong ? Driving me crazy  :o

Borthbury

Re: Lens softness module not working as expected - please help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:16 pm »
This is also happening to me. DXO Optics Pro 11.3.1

The fact that I can alter the lens softness of the image on screen with DXO Lens Softness switched off clearly indicates that there is a bug somewhere.

There is a different but similar bug with Noise Reduction. When this is switched on there is no way of previewing on full screen (this was possible in early versions).

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:39:04 pm »
I am using 11.3.0 and I concur that there is an issue with Lens Softness. When the pallet is switched off it should be dark and when the slider is moved 2 things should happen (in addition to the image changing). The pallet should lighten and the "on" indictor at the upper left corner of the pallet should turn from black to blue. Neither of those things are happening in my version.

Similarly if it is switch on manually (which seems to require both checking the "on" switch and adjusting a slider) and then switched back "off" the pallet does not darken as it should.

The issue with the Noise pallet may be related to the change Dxo made to speed up Prime NR. That never worked on the whole image and perhaps the changes they made bled over into the regular NR.

Has anyone reported these issues to Support?

crisscross

• Pbase Galleries
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »
You are right about what happens or doesn't, but cannot see why it is so bothersome. I have been using these for years and not even noticed.

That may be because I use a pre-set that turns these on (for the entire folder of 300 to 500 images) at a 'usually right' setting and only adjust if there is a problem on a particular image; I would say a small minority.

Much quicker than having to go through every tool each time
Chris     Nikon D7000  MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 http://www.pbase.com/crisscross

Borthbury

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »
> You are right about what happens or doesn't, but cannot see why it is so bothersome. I have
> been using these for years and not even noticed.

To add: Lens Softness adjustment does not display when viewing the image at 100%. This is a really significant change from previous versions of the software where this was possible. It  makes adjusting sharpness a bit hit and miss/trial and error (you have to export and then view the image to see if it has been sharpened to your taste). Looking to see if this is amended in an update on a near daily basis!

Borthbury

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »
This was flummoxing me, so I deleted OP11 Elite and reinstalled. Lens correction now works appropriately.

MikeFromMesa

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »
Do I understand you to be saying that uninstalling and reinstalling OP solved all of the issues concerning lens softness?

If so, I suppose I should do it as well.

Borthbury

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:21:48 pm »
I deleted all files that I could find relating to the DXO application, along with the App itself. A reinstall saw all of these problem disappear, only for them to reappear again today. Very frustrating. DXO Lens Softness is unusable in any professional context until this is sorted, as it is simply unacceptable that it can only be used at 100% zoom level.

photography