Author Topic: Volume distortion not only compresses at edges, it also crops.  (Read 417 times)

Contrajur

Volume distortion not only compresses at edges, it also crops.
« on: November 18, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »
There is one serious shortcoming in Viewpoint, at least as I see it, but I have a way around it. Please tell me if you agree or not. Is there a better solution? Possibly, something I need to set I have not yet discovered, though I have looked high and low.

When I use Viewpoint, I mostly want to do so with an ultra-wide angle image or a panorama for a landscape, where the perspective at the edges looks wrong. When you use correction for volume distortion for that, I do so manually because my images can never be the originals with the EXIF data in them and in any case I want to choose how much. Viewpoint crops the top and bottom at the same time, so the end result, while having compressed edges left and right, also loses part of the image top and bottom. To me that seems weird and arbitrary.

So what I have to do is extend the canvas size top and bottom, apply the Viewpoint transition, then remove the narrower redundant top and bottom afterwards. It works, but what a chore.

Is there a better solution?

Contrajur

Re: Volume distortion not only compresses at edges, it also crops.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:49:01 pm »
Believe it or not, I have the answer before even a single reply here, but from another forum.

I changed the default in Crop from preserve aspect ratio to unconstrained and now it does exactly what I want, just compressing in one direction while leaving the other unchanged.

I think DxO should let you choose the defaults or at least warn you in Help to check them all. Strange that crop has an influence on other functions even if you never intended to use it. Not how I would have designed it.

photography
photography