Author Topic: Additional sharpening in dxo  (Read 2421 times)

spencer

Additional sharpening in dxo
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:34 am »
Hello. Please could anyone advise me on sharpening. My workflow consists of editing in to dxo optics pro 11 via photo mechanic. I do all my major colour work and contrast etc in dxo . I shoot mostly weddings so I have a high volume to process. I love the files from dxo. Once I have completed my initial work and then hand my tiff files off to lightroom so I can clone or do major item removals via PS. I then want to export to two folders one containing full hi res for screen and the other for print use. Is it best just to use the output sharpening options only ?  And not add any lightroom sharpening?  I also export 1 set with no additional sharpening which I batch process in sharpen4webbcc plugin in PS as these are UltraSharp and a good resolution for my website and social media. I am thinking maybe no additional sharpening is required for hi resolution client images I may be wrong any advice is very much appreciated.

platypus

Re: Additional sharpening in dxo
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:33 am »
You seem to do your work with many different tools. I'd advise to sharpen im one tool only and in the last step to output.

Selective microcontrast can add to increase the impression of sharpness. Beware of interactions with sharpening though.

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

spencer

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:48 am »
Hi Thanks for the info. Until now I have let dxo sharpen my images via the standard setting but have not let LR add any. Is the standard setting ok for print as LR gives two options on export. The only other sharpening I carry out is the sharpen4web plugin as it retains detail when down sizing for web use. I will try your advice and add a little micro contrast.thanks for the help

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 05:32:55 pm »
One more comment: DoP should apply a sharpening during Export processing. There is a drop down menu under Interpolation submenu. It is the best to make some sample images with different algorithm ( Bicubic, Average, etc.) and compare. The result depends on the original file size and the output file size. E.g. in a  >25Mb original file, without size reduction, produces a very slight effect. On the other hand if the original file is <2Mb, any sharpening produces some unnatural effects.
The best is: make different export versions and compare.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

spencer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:13:23 pm »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge...
Regards
Spencer

Alan9940

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:09 pm »
Personally, since you use so many different tools to finalize your images I'd suggest establishing a preset in OP to apply capture type sharpening, apply creative sharpening, as necessary, for desired effect, then apply output sharpening based on end results; that is, sharpening for a print will be quite different from sharpening for post on a web page.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
AlanH

spencer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:47 pm »
Hi AlanH. It probably seems like I use a lot of tools but really I use dxo for RAWS as it is so crisp and produces great files. I use LR just for cataloguing images and I send files from there to PS for any major removal jobs like signs etc. I tried sending them from DXO but once they came back they did not take on the dxo alterations I guess this is because they are handed back as tiffs. ?  The only sharpening I use beyond the standard dxo automatic setting is a little maybe sound 37 in LR. My question really is do i need this or is it ok to export with no additional sharpening from LR other than what dxo provided.   These are the Giles I provide client on USB as full resolution. In addition I run these files through sharpen for web and are saved as a copy as these are reduced in size for the client gallery I also add these to the USB for the client in 960px long edge for social media use as to stop facebook compressing files. So as you see I only use dxo for most work but do not know if it sharpens for print like LR does on export. The Sharpen4webb  plugin is awesome and makes high quality small files to keep rendering on my site fast. Thanks for your advice though at some point I will arrive at the solution.

platypus

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 05:59:18 am »
Well, any way you do it, the most important thing is to look at what you get and to find out what your clients like...

Test variants to find your favourite settings.

Cheerio
Platypus
iMac late 2012 / 2.9 GHz 4 Core i5 / 24 GB / GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

Alan9940

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 06:13:02 am »
Spencer,

Well, sharpening is either a personal thing or is what your clients deem to be acceptable files. As for OP, the DxO Lens Softness control in the Detail panel is automatically applied, if you use the DxO Standard (default) preset. This will apply a capture style sharpening which has been set by DxO through testing of the lens/sensor combination. If you don't apply USM or any other control that applies a "sharpening effect", then the export out of OP will have a nice, clean precise amount of sharpening applied. I should mention that DxO Lens Softness is not USM and is far more complicated.

Perhaps this amount of sharpening would suffice and nothing more need be added in any down-stream processing. Perhaps it's too much for web presentation and not enough for print. For print, you may wish to apply some additional sharpening in PS or during output in LR. You will need to decide what works best for your workflow; no one can tell you. As Platypus said, test and find your personal settings.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
AlanH

photography
photography