Author Topic: Export Colour Problems  (Read 2212 times)

throwfirewoodatme

Export Colour Problems
« on: September 23, 2016, 02:53:35 pm »
Hi guys, when I export, the color space seems to change. JPEG or TIFF, exporting gives me much darker tones and too much red. Exporting from Canon RAW. Doesn't matter which preset.

Alan9940

Re: Export Colour Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »
Lot much info provided here in order for anybody to help.

Which preset, exactly, are you using for export? What ICC profile is set for the export preset? How are you determining that you're getting "darker tones" and "too much red"? Is your monitor calibrated and with what hardware/software setup? Whatever software outside DxO is being used to view the output, is it ICC aware?

And, about a hundred other questions... I think you get the idea.

Kind regards,
AlanH

throwfirewoodatme

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:52:49 am »
Hi Alan!

OK, so some things to note

1. The software (DXO FilmPack) has never behaved this way before. (Not sure you can set an ICC profile for FP?)

2. It's on my MacBook Pro Retina so calibrations are insignificant in light of point 1. (no other colouration issues occur in any other software except DXO FilmPack)

3. It doesn't matter which preset I use. (Including a straight style export with no "film emulation" applied.)

4. A screenshot of the preview in FP and the actual rendered TIFF or JPEG (attached) are vastly different no matter which application (Preview, Photoshop, Lightroom) and which color space (Adobe RGB, SRGB, Wide Gamut) or which ICC profile is revealed or embedded (ColorSync Utility).

Thanks,
Paul

Bencsi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:13 pm »
Hi Paul,

Let's go through step by step.
The Original file _MG_1982.jpg is a modified JPG file by 'Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)' application. Doesn't matter, it was intentional or not, to make correct comparison the original JPG ( or RAW ) file needed. If you have the original file and it is too big to place here, reduce its size with a 'less intelligent'  application, which certainly doesn't make more only merge pixels.
The next would be to import same image to DoP and select from the Preset list the 'No correction' by double click on. Finally, Export the result to JPG - any size, preferable same as the original JPG reduced; I recommend 960px horizontal - and add here to your message both. If you find any difference in tonality, it is the error of DoP. Of course, in the Export window leave the ICC profile Original and the EXIF details also allow to save.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Alan9940

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:52:24 pm »
Paul,

Are you using standalone FP or inside OP? I doubt that it matters, though. I just tried it with a colorful TIFF file that had previously been saved out of OP. I ran standalone FP 5, opened the image, and saved it without applying any film emulation. Opened both in PS CS6 and they look identical.

You are correct...you cannot specify an ICC profile during a save; FP will pass along any profile associated with the input file.

Endre has provided some useful steps. If you post the original here or provide a download link for it, I'd be happy to try it on my system.

Kind regards,
AlanH

photography