Author Topic: V5 release for Mac update?  (Read 17368 times)

leonpro

V5 release for Mac update?
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:09:13 am »
I thought we would be getting a release for Mac, but of course it wouldn\'t surprise me if it was released at the last day of the month or delayed once again considering the track performance this company has shown.

Cinematographer.Photographer.Artisan

StJohn

• http://www.asiaislandhomes.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:58:43 am »
Please DXO can you give us an update on what\'s happening. There are a lot of frustrated users out here.

mocenigo

• http://caccioppoli.mac.rub.de
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:53:51 am »
Quote from: StJohn;6362
Please DXO can you give us an update on what\'s happening. There are a lot of frustrated users out here.

Well, they may have already lost one customer.  I am considering a Canon EOS 5D purchase and in that case I WILL NOT upgrade to the Elite version - at least not immediately.  The 70-200 f4 IS is still NOT supported on my current 350D (and will never be). This software house is not reliable, I still hope they can get their act together, they have killer technologies, esp. on the optical correction and deblur fronts- (raw conversion, noise removal, and user interface are lacking - but one uses a tool for what it can do well.

This is a pity. I am a big fan of the involved technologies.

best
  Roberto

randyman805

Why no info for us Mac Guys??? V5 Release??
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:33 am »
This is a real bummer that you (DXO) have not addressed this issue with the Mac users. I have shared on numerous times and blogs about this next release, only to be left in the dark with my D3 and D300.. What is going on? It\'s the last part of the March and nothing, not even an update on your status.

Signed,

Disappointed in what seemed to be a Great Company.

pescatore

• Uwe-Fischer.com
Some Infos about the Mac-Update?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:24:58 am »
Hi,

it\'s end of march! What about the announced Beta Version 5 for Mac? - And how is the timeline for the final version - announced for april?!

Some infos would be nice!!

Regards Uwe
photos processed with DXO: http://Uwe-Fischer.com

peter.zimmerman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 04:39:48 pm »
Quote from: leonpro;6358
I thought we would be getting a release for Mac, but of course it wouldn\'t surprise me if it was released at the last day of the month or delayed once again considering the track performance this company has shown.

These guys are on the cusp of losing me.  I\'m stuck with v. 4.5, which I don\'t really like, and hoped the "upgrade" would help.  But this near-total lack of communication combined and the endless postponments of the "beta" version are really getting to me.

Not to mention all of the horrors that the V5.0.x WIN users are reporting.

-pz

carlosg

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »
Quote from: leonpro;6358

You haved all the reason, the new date for release the beta is for the middle april. I don\'t know that to think.

Carlos

AlexandreG

• Customer Care
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
Please see:
http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro/news/310308_dxoopticspro_v5_for_mac

"Our engineers are working diligently to ready the DxO Optics Pro v5 Public Beta for Mac. You can expect to be able to download it from our website starting in mid-April. The Public Beta for Mac will function on the Tiger-Intel/PowerPC and Leopard-Intel/PowerPC platforms, and will allow you to benefit from the support of the Canon EOS 40D, Nikon D300 and Nikon D3 cameras.
We’re eager for you to try this release and thank you again for your patience!"

peter.zimmerman

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »
Quote from: AlexandreG;6579
Please see:
http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro/news/310308_dxoopticspro_v5_for_mac

"Our engineers are working diligently to ready the DxO Optics Pro v5 Public Beta for Mac. You can expect to be able to download it from our website starting in mid-April. The Public Beta for Mac will function on the Tiger-Intel/PowerPC and Leopard-Intel/PowerPC platforms, and will allow you to benefit from the support of the Canon EOS 40D, Nikon D300 and Nikon D3 cameras.

I presume this means we should check back around the first of May to see if you have another announcement postponing the Mac public beta yet again.

ckyr

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:09:00 am »
This is ridiculous. I have sent multiple email to technical support asking for a refund, but nobody is replying...

mikelouw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 03:38:57 pm »
Quote from: ckyr;6601
This is ridiculous. I have sent multiple email to technical support asking for a refund, but nobody is replying...

I purchased v4.5 late last year, so am entitled to the free upgrade to v5.0. v4.5 still works well for me for many images, so I\'m still using it and don\'t want a refund, living in hope that v5 will actually materialise in my lifetime.

I\'ve seen this kind of roaring silence in response to users, accompanied by continuously pushed-back deadlines before, usually in companies which are about to go under due to mismanagement. I sincerely hope this is not the case with DxO, as I think they have an essentially sound product, and obviously excellent designers/programmers. It is a pity that their management has chosen this path. Their users are not the general public, and most of us would be techinically savvy enough to understand a more detailed explanation of the reason(s) for the extended delays on Mac v5. Unless, of course, the reasons are not technical but managerial......

mocenigo

• http://caccioppoli.mac.rub.de
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:14:59 am »
Quote from: AlexandreG;6579
Please see:

I REALLY hope they are doing everything to spare us from the horror windows users had to suffer. So maybe they have chosen not to attempt suicide twice, and decided to go for a public beta for mac that is more stable than the 5.0 for windows.  It would be sad to see DxO in trouble, because, despite all, the algorithms in DxO are really great.

But in the meantime I bought a 40d, and it is not supported. No modules for 4.5 either?  That\'s a shame.

This said, it seems that a lot of programmers are having trouble with OS X.

Adobe programmers sometimes write their file names with varying capitalisation. For example, ACP.Framework and then acp.Framework in one application - which means that on case sensitive file systems the apps break.  That\'s why CS2 and CS3 do NOT work on case sensitive file systems.  This is idiocy, and it is not Apples fault, but fault of the programmers that are not coinsistent in what they do.

The same happened with Canon DPP - the installer from DPP 3.1 to DPP 3.2 fails on case sensitive file systems. I had to update on another machine (it only updated in the main partition) and then transfer the apps on a secondary partition on my laptop. (yes, I use case sensitive file systems because I work a lot with unix utilities).

So, please, DxO, please, make at least sure your applications work on case sensitive file systems! 4.5 seems to be working fine.

best
  Roberto

vdhamer

Bug spreadsheet
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:37:37 pm »
Hi Mac folks.

I am the guy maintaining the user-managed list of DxO Optics Pro 5.0.x "issues" (read: bugs). It is located on the Web and currently contains 75 issues:
[INDENT]http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pv2EZkzGqjuxJmCTgrZeNDw
[/INDENT]The spreadsheet currently only covers the Windows version of Optics Pro. It was actually accidentally placed in the Windows part of the Forum by DxO during the Forum reshuffle. Probably simply because it only contains bugs from Windows users - but we never explicitly ruled out use of the list by Mac users.

Now my questions to you Mac-folks:
  • Are you guys going to create your own spreadsheet (meaning one for Windows + one for Mac)? Or do you prefer to use a joint spreadsheet? Might depend on how similar DxO makes its Windows and Mac versions: how many bugs will show up in both versions...
  • If you want to submit to a shared spreadsheet, rather than creating your own I need a volunteer to screen/edit/manage the Mac-specific items. The volunteer helps manage the spreadsheet by keeping an eye on quality (clarity, avoiding duplicate entries, validity) and language (no DxO bashing, fix crooked English, replace overly American slang for foreigners). The volunteer needs to make sure the person-who-found-the-bug is happy with the final text in the spreadsheet for "his" bug. But should also needs to help ensure that the bug is well-documented and ultimately fixable by DxO.
So.. new or shared spreadsheet?
If shared, separate tab or same tab?
If shared, I want a volunteer who own/users/knows the Mac to help maintain the Mac part.

Ideal qualifications:
  • can write clearly in English
  • runs the software on a regular basis
  • willing to spend a few hours per week ("community service")
  • diplomatic/neutral (essentially you are between 2 parties who each have their own frustrations, but ultimately have a common goal)
  • quality-minded
  • software or IT background would be nice
In the long run (month? months?) DxO hopes to provide similar functionality on their web site. But until then, this spreadsheet can help them focus on the bugs we care about. And can help DxO show that they are taking these bugs seriously.

Peter
Peter

vdhamer

DxO\'s own plans for problem reporting tooling
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »
Quote from: vdhamer;6747
In the long run (month? months?) DxO hopes to provide similar functionality on their web site. But until then, this spreadsheet can help them focus on the bugs we care about. And can help DxO show that they are taking these bugs seriously.

DxO\'s customer support just informed me that the tool "will be integrated to report bugs of the beta Mac version. Users won’t need to be involved in summarizing issues. I think your request is not necessary". Once this proves to work well (Mac users will be the testers for a change ;-), the Windows users will also get the same functionality.

Sounds fine to me. So you disregard my request for support. Let us see how the problem reporting tooling/procedures look. The web site actually already has hooks to support this (viewing the status of issues which you submitted yourself), but these are not enabled yet.

Peter
Peter

DuoM

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 03:46:55 am »
Quote from: vdhamer;6759
DxO\'s customer support just informed me that the tool "will be integrated to report bugs of the beta Mac version. Users won’t need to be involved in summarizing issues. I think your request is not necessary". Once this proves to work well (Mac users will be the testers for a change ;-), the Windows users will also get the same functionality.

Peter

Well let\'s hope that this bug reporting functionality actually works this time. The first Windows versions had this but the window that asked you if you wanted to report a bug after the program had crashed also crashed when you clicked “Yes” so it was removed from later releases.

photography
photography