Author Topic: Virtual Copies - when copy to and from a Backup HHD, DxO creates multiple copies  (Read 1968 times)

eolsen

Hi all,

I have a problem with virtual copies.

I use two PC's for editing my RAW files, and I use a Harddisk to backup and transfer between these two PC's.

But when ever I transfer from one PC to another, DxO Optics pro 10 creates many new Virtual Copies of my images.

This is very annoying, and I loose control of which of the virtual copies that are created by my self, or which that are created automatically by DxO.

I have discussed it with the support, but they tell me, that this is a feature, which should prevent any loses of corrections.

I must admit that the annoyance is far more problematic for me that the risk of losing a correction. I can keep everything well controlled by my self.

But DxO makes it very difficult to keep an overview and things in control.

Have you similar problems, and do you have a workaround for it.

l.s

I have exactly the same problem and it renders (mobile) working with DxO nearly impossible. If I understand this correctly, this is resulting from the fact that DxO is maintaining a local database and sidecar files at the same time. For my purposes, the sidecare files alone would do the job. As they will allways (together with the pictures) represent the latest version. The local database on the other hand will not allways be up to date.

Please fix this or give us the option to only use sidecar files - or at least give them the higher priority when they are present.

Regards, Lars

l.s

The only solution seems to be to automatically delete the database on start or ending of the dxo application. That doesnot seem right - and kill of the possibility to use projects.

eolsen

Lars: I fully copy your opinion: Please fix this. Even I kill the database everyday, sometimes it screw up things for me, and I must use long time to go through my different folders and delete hundreds of virtual files.

DxO: Please fix this issue one time for all.

I have exactly the same problem and it renders (mobile) working with DxO nearly impossible. If I understand this correctly, this is resulting from the fact that DxO is maintaining a local database and sidecar files at the same time. For my purposes, the sidecare files alone would do the job. As they will allways (together with the pictures) represent the latest version. The local database on the other hand will not allways be up to date.

Please fix this or give us the option to only use sidecar files - or at least give them the higher priority when they are present.

Regards, Lars

eolsen

Yes, it kills all possibilities to use projects.
I hope the DxO people are reading this. I can only hope they fix this big annoyance.

The only solution seems to be to automatically delete the database on start or ending of the dxo application. That doesnot seem right - and kill of the possibility to use projects.

l.s

Can this FINNALLY please be fixed? And when you are getting the usabillity right - please give us an option to turn off all those pointless UI animations that only eat up CPU time and make the user wait. Thank you!

obetz

Now I have also fallen into the trap and consider this an extremely annoying behavior.

I strongly suggest to add a switch to use only dop sidecar files to avoid any ambiguity about the last edit!

BTW, I made the observation that the virtual copies are not created on removable media or network shares! So just be sure you access your images over a network share.

Oliver

eolsen

Seems that DxO people never read or reply to these messages.

photography