Author Topic: Installation bug  (Read 2426 times)

Pat91

• PP Photo
Installation bug
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
Hi,

When installing an update for DxO Viewpoint , the PS plugins are installed in Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Plugins although I have Photoshop CC 2015. The Photoshop CC 2014 folder is systematically created although it had been previously removed.

So each time, I have to manually copy the plugins from Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Plugins to Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Plugins .

This is not new. The problem was already there with previous versions.
Patrick

Pat91

• PP Photo
Re: Installation bug
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:09:50 pm »
I have reported this problem to the support. They answered : "no bug - your PS CC 2015 might not be correctly installed".

How to reproduce the problem if you have PS CC 2015 installed (and had PS CC 2014 previously installed, and uninstalled):

- Go to the Control Panel
- Right-Click ViewPoint and select Change
- The installer starts. Select Repair.

Once the Repair has been done, you'll see that the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Plug-Ins\DxO ViewPoint 2 folder has been created and the latest version of the plugin installed there instead of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-Ins\DxO ViewPoint 2.

So you might have installed an update for Viewpoint after installing PS CC 2015 and had the plugins updated in the PS CC 2014 folder which the installer re-created even if it had been deleted.

You should check this, IMHO.
Patrick

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:51:20 pm »
Hi,

I just installed the latest versions of DxO ViewPoint and DxO FilmPack. This problem is still not fixed but has changed and is now extending to FilmPack.

After installing both applications, I can see that C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-ins\DxO FilmPack 5 and C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-ins\DxO ViewPoint 2 still contain the old of the plugins. The new versions stay in C:\Program Files\DxO Labs\DxO FilmPack 5\Photoshop Plug-in and C:\Program Files\DxO Labs\DxO ViewPoint 2\Photoshop Plug-in respectively.

So I had to manually copy the plugins to the correct Photoshop folder. An inexperienced user will not be aware of this and will not notice that she is still working with the old versions of the plugins.

Is it that difficult to fix such a trivial installation problem?

If the installer is unable to automatically detect the Photoshop CC plugin folder (and I don't see why), it should at least send a warning to the user and invite to install the plugins manually.
Patrick

iryna_myshkavets

• DxO Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 12:55:54 pm »
Hello Patrick,

Thank you that draw our attention to this issue!

Unfortunately, upgrade feature, as well as repair, does not detect the made changes in the system in terms of installed/uninstalled applications. They just upgrade/repair the previously installed component(s). In your case if you installed plug-in for PS CC 2014 during app installation then upgrade/repair will make changes for PS CC 2014 component only.

In order to install the plug-in for PS CC 2015 you need to use Modify feature and select the required app component for installation.

Please see the attached screenshots for more details.

Let me know if additional information is required.

Best regards,
Iryna

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:14:51 pm »
Hi Irina,

Thanks for your explanations. However, as mentioned in my last message, the problem is now that the installer doesn't install anything. When I launched the installer for the latest versions of ViewPoint and FilmPack, there was no copy of PS CC 2014 installed on my system, only PS CC 2015. The previous versions of the ViewPoint and FilmPack plugins were correctly installed in the PS CC 2015 plugin folder.

So the installer should have detected the PS CC 2015 folder and should have copied the ViewPoint and FilmPack plugins to that folder. But it did nothing and the previous versions of the plugins were not updated.

I repeat : if the installer is unable, for some unknown reason, to detect the PS CC version and plugin folder, it should at least emit a warning so that user knows that the plugins were not correctly updated and that he should install these plugins either manually or via the method that you described.

The DxO installers always had a problem detecting which version of PS is installed and determining into which folder the plugins should be copied. This is not new but I think it's now time to fix this. Other software don't have any problem doing this.
Patrick

iryna_myshkavets

• DxO Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:13 am »
Hello Patrick,

First of all, sorry for delay with answer we had to discuss the current issue and product’s plans before providing any details to you.

Secondly, I have a good news! :) We are planning to fix this issue in the next VP2 version so you will be able to configure plug-ins installation at each app upgrade.

Please let me know your feedback if there are any.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Iryna

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 11:22:59 am »
Secondly, I have a good news! :) We are planning to fix this issue in the next VP2 version so you will be able to configure plug-ins installation at each app upgrade.

OK. After the next release, I'll let you know whether the problem is fixed. Also, remember that there's a similar problem in FilmPack.

Thanks.
Patrick

photography