Author Topic: "Over sharpening" when exporting to a smaller size  (Read 2876 times)

tennapel

"Over sharpening" when exporting to a smaller size
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:51:27 pm »
DxO 10.5: when I export an image in its original size, the JPEG looks fine. If I export it at a smaller size, like downsampling to a size of 2048 px on the longest side, the JPEG looks 'too sharp'.

I don't know if it is too much micro contrast added or too much sharpening, but the end results looks like it has been processed by some cheap filter. I have tried all kinds of setting: auto, bicubic. The result is the same.

If I downsample the original size jpeg in Aperture to the same 2048px dimension, it looks fine.

Any idea how to counteract this in DxO?

Bencsi

Re: "Over sharpening" when exporting to a smaller size
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:45 am »
Hi tennapel,

The sharpening in DoP called 'Interpolation'. You can choose the algorithm before Export. Please have a look on the attached Sharpening.jpg'. The strongest for small size images is Bicubic sharper. Play with the options to find the best for you.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

tennapel

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:11:42 pm »
Right .. bug in the machine somehow. I created a new export option, with the same settings to play with it and at exactly the same setting it produces a better image, like the one I export when downsizing in Aperture.

The export setting has been there for some several versions of DxO and I suspect it did get corrupted or is interpreted differently when it has moved along with DxO version upgrades.

Let this be a gentle reminder to reset your preferred export options you created yourself with upgrades

katastrofa

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:49 am »
It would be great if we could set the strength of sharpening used by "Bicubic sharpen" when exporting. Maybe in the next version?

photography