Author Topic: Local Adjustment capability would make DxO HUGE!  (Read 5754 times)

Jan Shim

• SHIMWORLD
Local Adjustment capability would make DxO HUGE!
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:48 am »
Lightroom's ability to make and apply local adjustments to images makes it a solid RAW converter and very capable photo editor. What I hated about it is its catalog and generally annoying user interface. I had a brief chat with a DxO rep over Twitter a few months earlier about Local Adjustments, says such feature isn't in the DxO pipeline. Nik Software's Viveza 2 and Color Efex Pro are such fantastic partners to work with ... imagine how incredibly powerful Optics Pro can become if I can make selective adjustments to various parts of an image all within the program -- WOW!
Win 7 64-bit, ASUS ROG i7-3770K 4.5GHz, 16GB 1866MHz RAM, GeForce GTX 660, Dual Calibrated Dell U2713H Monitor 2560x1440

Nick_

Re: Local Adjustment capability would make DxO HUGE!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »
I totally agree and support this idea.
Nick

HantaYo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:41:18 am »
Another yes vote!

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:59:24 pm »
This is a long standing request and DxO are aware of it since years. This is probably the only missing feature that is preventing many Lightroom users from switching to DOP (that and of course, the lack of support for Fuji's X-Trans sensors).

The need for that feature is so obvious that I guess they would have already implemented it if they didn't have a huge technical problem in the way. I'm sure it's related to the software architecture that makes this move very difficult if not impossible. DOP is much more computation intensive than LR. Adding local adjustments certainly requires re-thinking the whole design.

My two cents...
Patrick

Bencsi

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 09:02:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

In the Filmpack itself and DoP Filmpack tool part there are the local adjustment feature. Try the 'Creative vignetting' and the 'Blur' tools. These are working partial modification tools.

Endre
Win7/64 PC, i7-3770, 3.9GHz, 24G RAM, Intel HD-4000 GPU, 27" calibrated LG monitor 1920*1080 px res. 82 DPI

Jan Shim

• SHIMWORLD
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:49:16 am »
Very interesting discovery, Bencsi.

This means DxO already has ability to apply Lightroom style brush controls which I find isn't nearly as smooth as Nik's but that's better than not having one at all. I hope DxO expands this functionality to include selective brightness, contrast, colour etc controls.
Win 7 64-bit, ASUS ROG i7-3770K 4.5GHz, 16GB 1866MHz RAM, GeForce GTX 660, Dual Calibrated Dell U2713H Monitor 2560x1440

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:40:13 am »
This means DxO already has ability to apply Lightroom style brush controls

DOP and Filmpack are two different sofware and have a very different design. What can be done in Filmpack cannot necessarily be done in DOP which is much more complex. You can't draw any conclusion about DOP from what can be achieved in Filmpack.
Patrick

stevelees

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:20 am »
This has to be the most unforgivable omission in what is otherwise a brilliant bit of software engineering. Everything else has it, DXO OP is the only software that does not.

I stuck with Lightroom for many years because of that feature, but as I have now dumped all things Adobe I bought all the main competitors software, Capture One, OnOne RAW and DXO, the entire DXO suite now in fact.

I can do local correction in the others but I have chosen DXO as my main tool as it does so much right, but why can they not add local correction? A profesiosnal tool (that DXO is of course) should not be missing this one BIG feature, please re-consider!

Allsop

• Andrew-Bede Allsop
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 08:08:03 am »
Totally agree with having this in the DxO suite of apps. I guess there are many folk like me who are switching from Adobe because of their pricing policy and finding, again like me, a far superior suite of photo editing apps and the ability to make local adjustments is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. Please can we have it soon?
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

John7

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »
Photomatix Pro 6. have managed to introduce this!

GSC20

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 02:07:40 am »
I like this feature too, that´s the reason why I think to switch to Lightroom (and the fact that I could use add-ons like Nik Tools 2.

Chwerze

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:58 am »
Local adjustments are a must in any serious producté

msundman

Masking problem
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 03:21:33 pm »
I think the big problem is the masking. You really want parameterised masking, combined with brushes in a boolean tree. Darktable is quite good at this, and although not perfect (for some reason dt stupidly separates parameterised from manual, instead of placing them in the same tree, and thus making tons of practical problems) I really recommend DxO checks it out before finalising their own implementation.

rsoen

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »
Agree, I am trying out Capture One 11 now and it it has local adjustments. Also a very good catalog system. And that for 300 Euro. But I have to say, the prime noise reduction is great for the theater work I do.

msundman

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:20 pm »
After evaluating OpticsPro the show-stopper that made us disregard it as a viable alternative is the lack of masked/local adjustments. The increased complexity of having to round-trip the images between OpticsPro and other software simply isn't worth it no matter how easy that's made. (With masked/local adjustments such round-trips would usually not be necessary.)

photography