Author Topic: Finding the original RAW file  (Read 2854 times)

Pat91

• PP Photo
Finding the original RAW file
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
Hi,

When using VP from an external program (Lightroom), it asks you to specify where the original RAW file is located. Although I understand it's not that easy to automatically find where this file is located, the user could provide some hints. Most of the time, the original RAW file is stored in the same folder as the file (TIFF or JPEG) passed to VP. So it would be easy to create an option allowing the user to specify that the original RAW file has to be searched in the same folder as the processed file. It will usually have the same name and the possible file extensions (CR2, NEF or whatever) could also be specified by the user as an option. Only if this search fails should VP ask for the actual file location.

It's easy and quick to code such a feature (can be done in less than an hour). Last year, someone at DxO Labs told be it was a good idea and that they were working at it. Nothing has changed since then.
Patrick

Sophie

• Administrator
Re: Finding the original RAW file
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:45:09 pm »
Hi Patrick,

This behavior is now possible when using DxO ViewPoint in a Lightroom or Photoshop workflow.

Regards

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »
This behavior is now possible when using DxO ViewPoint in a Lightroom or Photoshop workflow.

Hi Sophie,

Sorry but this is not what I observe.

In Lightroom, I right-click a RAW image and select Edit in Viewpoint 2. This generates a TIFF file that is transmitted to VP. VP opens and in the distorsion panel, I still can see :

The automated distorsion correction need information from the original image...

Open original image

If I click on Open original image, the warning window and then file browser window open... Like before.

I don't see any option allowing me to tell VP that the original file should always be looked for in the same folder as the TIFF file.

So please tell me if I'm missing something but I can't find anything near what I suggested.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:00:21 pm by Pat91 »
Patrick

Sophie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:33:35 pm »
Hi again,
This may be due to Lightroom renaming the files before exporting them to DxO ViewPoint. The files renaming rules may have been changed in Lightroom, or you may be using Lightroom in a language using a different file extension. Could you please give us the name of the file opened in DxO ViewPoint 2, and the name of of the original file in Lightroom?

Thank you

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 05:51:53 pm »
This may be due to Lightroom renaming the files before exporting them to DxO ViewPoint.

I do not rename the files when editing in an external program from Lightroom (I'm using version 5.7.1). Files are exported as .TIF files with the same name as the original. I'm using Lightroom in english. I just tried again with two files named Berlin-0001.CR2 and Berlin-0002.CR2. The files were correctly exported to VP as Berlin-0001.tif and Berlin-0002.tif and each time, I had the warning window with the "Open orignal image" link which opens a window containing the Open button and the "Why do I need to do that" link. When I click on Open, the Windows file browser window opens (not in the folder where the CR2 file is stored but in the last opened folder which has nothing to do with this process).

VP behaves similarly with all RAW files whatever their name.

So again, I don't see what has changed. There's no new behavior of VP regarding this issue.
Patrick

Pat91

• PP Photo
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »
Up!
Patrick

photography